Discussion topic: Stream questions

This message was authored by MrLanMan This message was authored by: MrLanMan

Stream questions

Hi all

new to Sky Stream, having switched from Q under a week ago.

made the switch because we'd been having endless issues with Sky Q mini boxes staying connected to the main Sky Q boxes mesh network, meaning using the Mini boxes have been extremely unreliable since January. Called Sky, got a box replaced and had numerous calls to do "connection tests", but these only briefly resolved issues.

since full fibre is now available here, decided to make the switch and have each box independently able to watch tv via a stream.

so far, I'm loving the Stream, I just have two questions

1) if you press the multicoloured button to launch an interactive (formerly red button service) on channels like Sky Sports, how does one exit the app to allow you to change channels etc again?

2) the Stream (like most smart tv devices these days) launch to the "Home Screen". It's not possible from the Home Screen to just press the number keys to launch the relevant channel, right? It seems you have to navigate down to either TV guide or a "entry" for what's on now to enter "live tv" mode before you can enter channels numbers. Am I right, or is there a magic trick?

it would be less of an issue to me if the remote had a "live tv" type button

All Replies

This message was authored by martswain This message was authored by: martswain

Re: Stream questions

2. Use voice control !

Just say "Channel 101" and BBC1 will come up, works from any screen.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MrLanMan wrote:

Hi all

new to Sky Stream, having switched from Q under a week ago.

made the switch because we'd been having endless issues with Sky Q mini boxes staying connected to the main Sky Q boxes mesh network, meaning using the Mini boxes have been extremely unreliable since January. Called Sky, got a box replaced and had numerous calls to do "connection tests", but these only briefly resolved issues.

since full fibre is now available here, decided to make the switch and have each box independently able to watch tv via a stream.

so far, I'm loving the Stream, I just have two questions

1) if you press the multicoloured button to launch an interactive (formerly red button service) on channels like Sky Sports, how does one exit the app to allow you to change channels etc again?

Press the home button to go back to the Home Screen.

2) the Stream (like most smart tv devices these days) launch to the "Home Screen". It's not possible from the Home Screen to just press the number keys to launch the relevant channel, right? It seems you have to navigate down to either TV guide or a "entry" for what's on now to enter "live tv" mode before you can enter channels numbers. Am I right, or is there a magic trick?

it would be less of an issue to me if the remote had a "live tv" type button

correct, the manually get to a Tv channel you either need to do it via the TV Guide/EPG or pressing the numbers whilst watching a live channel. 

One important thing to note is that this platform is mainly designed for voice control which is likely why some odd UI decisions have been made. Just do a voice search for the channel e.g either "channel xxx" for the number or just say the channel name e.g "Dave or Sky Atlantic" Ona. Voice search and it will load the channel directly.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

1.Just hit the home key on the remote, pan left to your recent channels or apps.

Or, just say a channel name or number, like 'Sky news', '501'

The only 'red button' area you can use the exit key is what displays on the Sky Sports Golf channel.

2.As above, just pan left to your previous viewed recent channels, on demand content or apps

Or, just say a channel name or number, like 'Sky news', '501'

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion