Discussion topic: No power getting to my magic eyes.

This message was authored by modelmaker This message was authored by: modelmaker

No power getting to my magic eyes.

My house is wired for the use of magic eyes in several rooms with the powered connection box on the outside of the house. I have Sky + box and both dish cables are plugged in ( does it matter which cable goes into Output 1 & 2?). I have checked Settings and RF Output is switched "On".  However,I have no power to all of my magic eyes have no power. Has anyone any ideas or what am i missing? Thanks

Best Answers
modelmaker
Topic Author
This message was authored by modelmaker This message was authored by: modelmaker Answer

Re: No power getting to my magic eyes.

When the dish and Vision splitter were installed many years ago by Sky I never gave it another thought - it just worked. When I got my ladders out I identified all cables coming from it . There was no power coming to the splitter so the one that enterered the house by the main TV had to go to the RF Out 2 on the back of the box - it even indicates that it a 9 volt supply. It was a standard push-in coax fitting but needed a conversion adaptor to work. The red LED lights were now lit up and all magic eyes worked again. Many thanks to all those members who have taken the trouble to help me  John on thr Wirral.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Most amplified splitters, which I'm assuming is what the powered connection box is, provide an independent power supply for the magic eyes. From your description, I'd guess the splitter has failed.

modelmaker
Topic Author
This message was authored by modelmaker This message was authored by: modelmaker

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The connection box (splitter?) seems totally independant of the dish. The double cable and single cable from the dish go into the two RF outputs at the back of the box. Does the magic eye power come via the dish? My splitter is made by Vision. Cheers John (Modelmaker)

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

A magic eye is powered from the 9v that comes from the RF2 socket and has nothing to do with the dish

If the coax cable is shorted then this can cut the power, try turning the RF power off and on in the hidden menu (see my Sky Plus FAQ)

@modelmaker wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The connection box (splitter?) seems totally independant of the dish. The double cable and single cable from the dish go into the two RF outputs at the back of the box. Does the magic eye power come via the dish? My splitter is made by Vision. Cheers John (Modelmaker)

Yes, it would be independent of the dish. The dish cables connect directly to the Dish Input 1 and 2 sockets at the rear of your Sky box (not the RF sockets). Power for the eyes doesn't come from the dish. It either comes directly from the RF2 socket of your Sky box, or when you have a multi output splitter as it seems you do, it comes from the splitter itself. As there's no power to any of the magic eyes, it seems that the power supply from the splitter to the eyes is no longer working.

modelmaker
Topic Author

I am coming to that conclusion myself. The two connections from the split cable from the dish are both securely fixed to the two brown input sockets on my Sky+ box as they should be. I seem to remember the Sky fitter telling me all those years ago that power came from the Vision splitter when I asked him.

It seems funny that,having installed a new smart TV and the magic eyes were working that they suddenly stopped. Where does this "free-standing" splitter get it's power from?Thanks John on the Wirral

@modelmaker wrote:

. Where does this "free-standing" splitter get it's power from?Thanks John on the Wirral

You mentioned in your initial post that the splitter is powered, so I've assumed there's a mains connection.

modelmaker
Topic Author

A little red LED comes on when it is working so I assumed from the system. The splitter is on the outside wall and there is certainly no mains supply.so power has to come through the system..

Ah OK. Yes, the power will come from your Sky box's RF2 socket, in that case. Is the red LED at the splitter still lit? 

If not, as an elimination test, try plugging a magic eye directly in the RF2 socket to see if its power LED lights. 

modelmaker
Topic Author

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts and efforts to help me. When Sky put the splitter in all those years ago I never gave it much thought - it just worked like magic! However. having sketched out a wiring diagram of the splitter all cables simply go to the various rooms so there is no physical connection to anything. The issue coincides with installing a new TV. The wiring seems fine and telly works perfectly. the double cable from the dish splits at the Sky box and both cables are securely connected to the two brown input sockets. The single coax from the splitter is connected to the new tv and the other splitter splitter cables connect via the magic eyes in each room. There is no red LED light on any of them. Logically,It has to come down to how the tv was installed. This was done by a more teccy young neighbour so need to get him to look at it with me. Being able to chat with those more knowledgeable than me has been a great help as it has made me focus on an issue I simply took for granted. Many thanks John on the Wirral

@modelmaker wrote:

The single coax from the splitter is connected to the new tv and the other splitter splitter cables connect via the magic eyes in each room. 

That's not right.

The coax cable from the splitter should be plugged into the RF2 socket of your Sky box., not your TV.

modelmaker
Topic Author

Thanks for that. It's all coming together and making sense. 

modelmaker
Topic Author

Many thanks. The answer became more obvious following your comments. My problem is now fixed. Thankyou 

John on the wirral

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

So what was the answer? this will help others who are searching the forum in the future

modelmaker
Topic Author
This message was authored by modelmaker This message was authored by: modelmaker Answer

When the dish and Vision splitter were installed many years ago by Sky I never gave it another thought - it just worked. When I got my ladders out I identified all cables coming from it . There was no power coming to the splitter so the one that enterered the house by the main TV had to go to the RF Out 2 on the back of the box - it even indicates that it a 9 volt supply. It was a standard push-in coax fitting but needed a conversion adaptor to work. The red LED lights were now lit up and all magic eyes worked again. Many thanks to all those members who have taken the trouble to help me  John on thr Wirral.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion