Discussion topic: SD ending HD prices

This message was authored by Ann- This message was authored by: Ann-

SD ending HD prices

As sky is turning of SD channels along with other broadcasters. Why are they still charging for HD channels. I get they need to charge for UHD, but 3d channels are still free.

I think as they are changing to streaming services as this is cheaper. There customers shouldn't have to pay for HD channels now..

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: SD ending HD prices

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ann- Sd is only ending on non sky hd boxes (ones that can only receive sd channels)

sd channels are still available on hd boxes, so sky can still choose to charge if it wants to 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: PRICE INCREASES AND REMOVAL OF SD CHANNELS

@Ann- wrote:

If SD is ending. Why is sky still charging customers for HD channels. And now charging for UHD channels.  Yet 3d was free.

I think as SD channels are now being switched off HD channels should be free.

@Ann- as @SKY1992bf says SD channels aren't ending they are being moved to a different transponder they are currently on DVB-S transponders but being moved to DVB-S2 transponders which the old Sky + boxes can't receive but the Sky +HD boxes can as well as the Sky Q boxes so people with these boxes can still receive SD channels 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: SD ending HD prices

@Ann- wrote:

As sky is turning of SD channels along with other broadcasters. Why are they still charging for HD channels. I get they need to charge for UHD, but 3d channels are still free.

SD channels will still be broadcast.  There are no 3D channels. The HD supplement is worth something like half a billion pounds to Sky annually, so removing it would require a substantial baseline subscription increase.

I think as they are changing to streaming services as this is cheaper. There customers shouldn't have to pay for HD channels now..

Sky Glass and Stream don't have a supplement for HD.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion