Discussion topic: Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

This message was authored by sweetheart4321 This message was authored by: sweetheart4321

Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

ive had a furious argument with sky over the phone today,right now ive got a sky plus hd box,the other day i heard they were closing down all the old boxs,so i phoned sky up twice the other day,i spoke to two diferent people that said it would not affect my hd box,today i read up that in august the hd boxs are also being closed down in august,so i phoned sky up today had a right go at them,and said why was it when i phoned twice the other day,i was told it wouldnt affect my sky hd box,sky person said well weve only just founf it out in the last couple of days that there being switched off has well,so i said its a qaste of time phoning u lot one minute being told something and something else the next,so in august when its switched off i will have to go over to sky q,and lose all my recordings on this box,and parts of my housing estate cant even get sky q

Moderator note: Changed title to reflect topic more.

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: furious

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sweetheart4321 wrote:

ive had a furious argument with sky over the phone today,right now ive got a sky plus hd box,the other day i heard they were closing down all the old boxs

You heard wrong, HD+ boxes are continuing as normal. The issue is with people who have old boxes that can only receive SD channels as you can read about here:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-channel-upgrade

This means if you have an SD box, you'll need to upgrade to continue watching Sky channels

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

@sweetheart4321 wrote:

ive had a furious argument with sky over the phone today,right now ive got a sky plus hd box,the other day i heard they were closing down all the old boxs

You heard wrong, HD+ boxes are continuing as normal. The issue is with people who have old boxes that can only receive SD channels as you can read about here:

This means if you have an SD box, you'll need to upgrade to continue watching Sky channels

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

You heard wrong. What's happening is that the old Sky+ boxes will stop being able to receive SD programmes. You'll still be able to receive them, in SD, in a Sky+HD box, so you won't be affected by this change, and you were advised correctly.

The other,thing Sky have recently announced is that there won't be any further software updates to Sky+HD boxes. In fact, there hasn't been an update anyway for well over a year.

Your Sky+HD box can, of course, fail at any time because of hard disk failure.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

They are NOT turning off the boxes, as you say, what is happening is a lot of the SD channels will be changing their broadcast protocol to DVB-S2 that can only be processed with a more modern HD capable Sky box

If you have a Sky+SD or earlier box then your choices are to mover to a newer service or purchase a DRX890 or DR895 box from the second hand market and use that instead

Q48 in my Sky Plus FAQ

sweetheart4321
Topic Author
This message was authored by sweetheart4321 This message was authored by: sweetheart4321

ok thanks

i take it thats up to date imfo,im a bit confused by it one minute i hear that hd is closing down also in august,then i hear its not ,but thanks for that

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

It is completely up to date so wherever you heard about HD closing down is completely wrong.

This message was authored by FastEddie1 This message was authored by: FastEddie1

I was misled by a GB News article which says:

"But if you've still got a Sky+ HD box under your telly in August — less than 120 days from now — you'll lose access to every Sky TV channel. The details were shared in an update to Sky's Help pages."

Sports fan
sweetheart4321
Topic Author

thats it thats what i saw eddie

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

That headline and the bit from the article you have posted is wrong as explained earlier you are perfectly fine with a HD box.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@FastEddie1 wrote:

I was misled by a GB News article which says:

"But if you've still got a Sky+ HD box under your telly in August — less than 120 days from now — you'll lose access to every Sky TV channel. The details were shared in an update to Sky's Help pages."

Who'd have thought GB News would get something wrong? 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
sweetheart4321
Topic Author

Trouble is this is what made me feel my hd box would be affected what gb news says,its hard to know what is true news or what is fake news anymore

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sweetheart4321 wrote:

Trouble is this is what made me feel my hd box would be affected what gb news says,its hard to know what is true news or what is fake news anymore

They just got it wrong (which is different to 'fake') : this happens to all News sources sometimes, and to poorly resourced services that are more concerned with ideology than accuracy rather more often.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

I'd observe that the Sky help page which GB News linked to in the story does give the correct information.

Unfortunately GB News appears to be giving incorrect information in their own text while promoting an affiliate link for Sky Stream.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

I'm fairly certain i've also seen the information misrepresented on other media sites over the past couple of weeks. Particularly those where they use love the user of the sensationalist clickbait type headlines like "Sky are removing hundreds of channel affecting millions of customers".

For information like this its always best to seek the information directly from the source ( in this case Sky) to make sure you get an accurate understanding of exactly what is changiing.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

sweetheart4321
Topic Author

Re: Sky+ HD boxes are closing down?

yes  i got confused when i saw this online in a paper, and i believed it and got annoyed with sky over it, because ive got an hd box ,and i coudnt make out why it would affect me, thats the trouble with the interenet,you read all these diferent news items and they dont always say how it actually is.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion