Discussion topic: looking online you can buy a new Sky + HD box

This message was authored by alan16497 This message was authored by: alan16497

looking online you can buy a new Sky + HD box

Looking online you can buy a new Sky+ HD box from a company called Digirepairs, has anyone had any experience of this company ?

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: looking online you can buy a new Sky + HD box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Welcome to the forum @alan16497 

I would be surprised if these are new Sky+HD boxes - the last were manufactured in 2015/2016. I suspect at best they're refurbished boxes with possibly a new hard disk. Sky offer the same if your box needs replacing.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

There are no new Sky+ boxes as they stopped manufacturing them about 6 years ago

The best you can get is new old stock

alan16497
Topic Author

ok looks like this company might be telling porkies, the ads state they are new   

I looked at a couple of the company's ads which are quite carefully worded - typically saying, for example,  Sky+HD box, DRX890, brand new 500GB HDD.

So it's the hard drive that's brand new, not the box itself. In other words, the box is refurbished.

alan16497
Topic Author

yes looked again and you are right, little scoundrels ! there is a lot of repaired or refurbished boxes on Amazon and Ebay for sale as well. 

This message was authored by Gerry1980 This message was authored by: Gerry1980

Hi, @alan16497

Chigwell Satellite still sell brand new SkyHD+ boxes. I purchased a new 2tb  DRX895WL off them and have been very happy with it. Just search for their web site.

Thanks

Gerry1980

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Gerry1980  They can't be new as they were last made in 2016.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Hi @GD1 ,

They advertise Sky+HD refurb and new both DRX890 and DRX895.

I purchased new and I can confirm that it was brand new. They are not cheap but they are new as advertised. Please have a look yourself.

Gerry1980.

If they're new, they must have been hanging around on a shelf somewhere for the last 6 years! Each to their own, but personally I don't think I would be spending three figures on a decades old platform which must eventually (soon?) run out of support by Sky.

@Mark39 

They are brand new and sealed as I can verify that my DRX895WL was exactly that.  As for how long they have been around for,  as you say since the last production line ended.

Having said that my satellite box is well used by me and is spot on for my needs. Picture quality 1080i upscaled by my TV and it is very good.

Old technology admitted but with an excellent Sky software interface and I have other exceptional 2022 boxes for my app requirements, so I see it as best of both worlds but as you say each to their own.

Gerry1980

alan16497
Topic Author

had a look at Chigwell  Satellite also trading as Q-View,   and they have 96% excellent reviews on Trustpilot, and looks ok for buying a new box.

@alan16497 

All that I can tell you is that I was and still am very happy with my purchase from them.

I do know that the brand new boxes are now very limited for obvious reasons and I had to wait a few days for my box but it was well worth the wait.

Gerry1980

This message was authored by PDDRUM This message was authored by: PDDRUM

Good Morning

My Sky HD box stopped working and says no signal. Called Sky and they were more interested in selling me Sky Q than anything else. Said nothing they can do. Assume if I buy a refurbished box I simply use my existing card or does it have to be paired with the new box? Do I lose all my recordings? 

The guy was pleasant and I was on for nearly one hour every time I said I did not want Sky Q but would like them to try to fix my HD box or replace it.

He would go through the same spiel your box cannot be fixed.

Said last time I had a problem they dialed in and talked me through all sorts of commands and eventually I got it fixed,

He said we could not fix it and then the spiel about Sky Q.

Can anyone cast some light on buying a used box?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@PDDRUM 

Sky no longer offer much in the way of support for Sky+/HD. You should have received a letter in the last few months explaining this. If you call Sky with a Sky +/HD issue they will advise you that you need to upgrade to Sky Q, Glass or Stream. Of course you can purchase a second hand box from the likes of eBay. If you already have Sky Protect cover through Domestic and General Insurance you can contact them if you require an engineer. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion