Discussion topic: Moving to Sky Talk from BT Digital Voice

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Moving to Sky Talk from BT Digital Voice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Keeping my telephone number (I've had it 36 years). Currently on BT Digital Voice.

Has anybody successfully moved to Sky Talk Internet Phone from BT Digital Voice (BT Internet Phone) and managed to keep their existing landline number?

I called Sky and they said it is possible to keep my number. However having dealt with Sky for the past 30 plus years you will excuse me for not taking their word for it.

I know there is no problem moving an old analogue line with number to Sky, my question is specifically moving an internet phone (with BT) over to Sky internet phone and keeping my number.

Scepticism is that every other ISP I have tried (the big ones), state very clearly that I cannot keep my number if it is now on BT Digital Voice. Moving to Sky Broadband & Talk could save me 33%.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Moving to Sky Talk from BT Digital Voice

Yes, I would be sceptical, too. I've seen posts from others who have tried unsuccessfully to port their phone number from other providers to Sky VOIP. 

As is the nature of forums, I guess, I don't remember seeing posts from, customers who have done so without problem.

This message was authored by Hewittrl This message was authored by: Hewittrl

I would love to see the original question answer by Sky directly.

I have BT fibre Broadband and coming to end of contract. I also have BT "Digital Voice" with the same home phone number that I have had 20+ years and that my elderly parents use to call me (only one they can remember). So I need to keep this number.

would love to move over the SKY Broadband but if they can't (or wont) confirm the situation with porting phone numbers then this will force me to stay with BT. 

Could also be a question for the Regulator if it is seen as a monopolistic blocker on competition I suppose.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Hewittrl wrote:

They're unlikely to answer here - we're a customer Community. I imagine Sky's official position is as in their help guide here: https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-talk/joining-sky-talk/switching-to-sky-talk/articles/switching-to-...

Beyond that, you could always call?

MightyQuinn
Topic Author
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@Hewittrl wrote:

I have BT fibre Broadband and coming to end of contract. I also have BT "Digital Voice" with the same home phone number that I have had 20+ years and that my elderly parents use to call me (only one they can remember). So I need to keep this number.

would love to move over the SKY Broadband but if they can't (or wont) confirm the situation with porting phone numbers then this will force me to stay with BT. 

Could also be a question for the Regulator if it is seen as a monopolistic blocker on competition I suppose.

Hi @Hewittrl   

I asked the question over a year ago, the world has moved on!

In the end I decided to move my BT Digital Voice number to Voipfone. This detached the number from any/all ISPs so I could change ISP without even thinking about losing the number. The transfer of my existing telephone was incredibly easy and went without a hitch, giving me continuity of telephone number for the future.

I suspect the number transfer system is now up to speed and the chances of losing the number are remote unless the number does not originally belong to BT.

However, I finally decided to move to Gigaclear 500 (broadband only), so transferring the number to Voipfone automatically cancelled my BT account. Zero chance of BT Full Fibre where I live.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Hewittrl wrote:

Ofcom has an 'expectation' that numbers are portable, but appears to accept that this may not be possible in all cases, and typically won't intercede on behalf of individual ISP customers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/number-port... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion