Discussion topic: Sky talk landline not working but internet / broadband is fine

This message was authored by jayuk78 This message was authored by: jayuk78

Sky talk landline not working but internet / broadband is fine

I might have posted the post below in the "broadband" community forum by mistake when it's a Sky Talk Issue. Sorry............ Hi all Not entirely sure what to do. I have Sky TV (Sky Q) / Superfast Broadband / 3 x Sky Q mini boxes / WiFi extender (booster), Sky Talk Anytime with Sky Shield. My Sky Q, mini boxes, booster, main hub and WiFi all working fine. I can download and stream programmes as normal - no issue. However, I cannot get a dial tone on my landline. I cannot make or receive incoming or outgoing calls using my landline. I've checked the phones and socket and everything seems good. I've got a corded phone being delivered tomorrow just to make sure. I don't understand the problem at all. Very strange note to add, I tried to ring my own landline from my mobile phone. As it was ringing I could hear something happening on my landline when I pressed answer (even though it did not ring). To all intense and purposes it sounded like I could hear my landline ringing but from down the earpiece of my landline phone. I put my mobile phone on the table and walked well away into another room in case it was interference or the ring tone from my mobile, but even when I walked well away from my mobile phone, I could still hear a faint sound of my landline ringing but from the earpiece of the landline phone itself. It was very odd. I could only hear this faint sound when I pressed answer on the landline. It didn't actually connect to my mobile, it just gave me a very faint ringing sound as if I could hear my own mobile phone ringing my landline. I have no idea why my landline is not working but my broadband is perfect. Note: I do not have internet phone calls, just standard calls. Any ideas anyone? Can anyone help? I will test the line again tomorrow using a corded phone. PS: my primary socket has two sockets, one for the broadband line to the router and one for the landline. No microfilter required. No changes in the house, no building work or objects moved recently. Nothing. I've run a test via my sky app. It says everything is ok and the line is ok. I look forward to any help or replies. I will update tomorrow when I get home from work and test the corded phone.

Best Answers
jayuk78
Topic Author
This message was authored by jayuk78 This message was authored by: jayuk78 Answer

Re: Sky talk landline not working but internet / broadband is fine

@Mark39 I managed to phone Sky technical support and the call was answered by a real person within 30 seconds (Ellie). They have run a test and their is a fault on the line, probably at the exchange. Openreach informed. Engineer visit booked (no need to come to the house at this stage) and the fault will hopefully be resolved in a few days. Classed as a total loss of phone service so auto-compensation of £9.76 per day after 48 hours of not fixed.

Thanks for your help. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Let us know whether a corded phone makes any difference. If not, I think you'll need to report the problem to Sky. If you wish, we can ask Sky's messaging team to contact you here so that you can do so via a private online chat

jayuk78
Topic Author

Hopefully home from work around 4pm. I will let you know and if it's not working I think escalating the issue on my behalf would be best 

jayuk78
Topic Author
This message was authored by jayuk78 This message was authored by: jayuk78 Answer

@Mark39 I managed to phone Sky technical support and the call was answered by a real person within 30 seconds (Ellie). They have run a test and their is a fault on the line, probably at the exchange. Openreach informed. Engineer visit booked (no need to come to the house at this stage) and the fault will hopefully be resolved in a few days. Classed as a total loss of phone service so auto-compensation of £9.76 per day after 48 hours of not fixed.

Thanks for your help. 

jayuk78
Topic Author

there is a fault not their is a fault 😬😬

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion