Discussion topic: Football ‘results’ on Home Screen

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Football ‘results’ on Home Screen

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@timosb wrote:

My expectation is flawed? That they don't give the results on the Home Screen alongside the recordings of matches yet to be watched? By all means have a page of results in a results section but not on the homepage. The sky home page is not the news, it is the means to access News and Sport etc. and that's where the results should be placed, in the appropriate area not on the home page.  I think you have misunderstood my point. I understand viewers like yourself would like to see scores but you should be able to access that at your will. My expectation of Sky is don't give away vital results on ANY sport on the home page which customers have to use to access their recordings of sports yet to be watched. It's the position and location I have an issue with not the fact that they do it. 

If we are talking about the Sports Home page then what's on there is the 2-3 minutes highlights as they have available on Sky sports app and YouTube which always show the results as that's the quick highlights so people can watch the goals.

To access the on-demand full replays (if they are available) so either need to playlist the football match so it will take a cloud recording (and you can access from your playlist) or do a voice search for the football game.

The system is designed primarily for voice control which is why this is typically the best way of accessing content, whereas the Home Screens are typically designed to showcase content you may have missed and what to catch up on. Which in the case of sport will show the results for a short highlights video. 

Sport is practically the only broadcasted content that is still generally watched live and with the rise in social media most people will either be watching live (or slightly delayed) or will be following the results online and just want to catch the highlights.

Times have changed since the MOTD era where social media and the internet weren't a big thing and therefore the results of the days games would only appear on the news and they would give a warning if you didn't want to know the results.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

timosb
Topic Author
This message was authored by timosb This message was authored by: timosb

If the system is designed for voice activated it is indeed flawed. There are a multitude of mini boxes and multi room out there, that's what their usp is and they aren't voice activated sadly. No my point is the actual Home Screen when you turn the sky box on.. why the put the results there? 
if I've recorded MOTD so I can watch in my own time and at my convenience why would I want Sky to tell me the results when I turn the box on before I can go to the recordings menu? People are missing my point. It's the positioning of the results I can't understand? Many others agree with me as can be seen in lots of these forums. 
if you were a Grand Prix fan and had recorded the race during the day to watch in the evening and your turned on the box to see the winner of the race advertised on the home page how can you not see how that is not considering the viewers? By all means have a sports page can go to and view results but the sky home page doesn't make any sense and consider all possible viewers situations. It's not even like you have to scroll down.. it's there... opening page.. all I'm asking is for sky to view their menu from a point of view of someone who has recorded an event not wanting to know the outcome that's all.  

timosb
Topic Author

"Sport is practically the only broadcasted content that is still generally watched live and with the rise in social media most people will either be watching live (or slightly delayed) or will be following the results online and just want to catch the highlights."  That's a very big assumption to make and sadly not true for all viewers. I'm a single dad with young kids so viewing a live event especially in the afternoon is a very rare treat. If I have managed to get to post kids bedtime without finding out the result (which can be done if you want it to happen believe me) I then don't expect SKY to tell me the result when I switch on the box to access my recordings from earlier on the day..  there is no way to avoid that.. sadly I've taken to now covering my eyes and 'peeking through my fingers' to just see the left hand menus.. so I guess you're all right.. sky have it just right.. single dad's cover their eyes so the rest of you can see the scores that you could have seen on your phone, google, internet, news, mates the rest of the day...  cheers for that understanding. Technology is a wonderful thing..  it forces information on you even when you don't want it apparently and that's ok with everyone, especially if they have the luxury of watching it live. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@timosb wrote:

"Sport is practically the only broadcasted content that is still generally watched live and with the rise in social media most people will either be watching live (or slightly delayed) or will be following the results online and just want to catch the highlights."  That's a very big assumption to make and sadly not true for all viewers. I'm a single dad with young kids so viewing a live event especially in the afternoon is a very rare treat. If I have managed to get to post kids bedtime without finding out the result (which can be done if you want it to happen believe me) I then don't expect SKY to tell me the result when I switch on the box to access my recordings from earlier on the day..  there is no way to avoid that.. sadly I've taken to now covering my eyes and 'peeking through my fingers' to just see the left hand menus.. so I guess you're all right.. sky have it just right.. single dad's cover their eyes so the rest of you can see the scores that you could have seen on your phone, google, internet, news, mates the rest of the day...  cheers for that understanding. Technology is a wonderful thing..  it forces information on you even when you don't want it apparently and that's ok with everyone, especially if they have the luxury of watching it live. 

The evidence for this - is global TV ratings, and also the higher ads rates that broadcasters can get for live sporting contents as opposed to other content. 

More people typically watch live sport, than a "live" or first run broadcast of other content, which as a result means live sport is more attractive to broadcasters, because they can charge higher ad rates when compared with other content. Its the reason the global sports broadcasting rights is ridicuously high and crazy, compared to deals that are done for non-sporting content, and this global sports right bubble hasn't quite burst yet.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

timosb
Topic Author

I appreciate all that and the evidence (I know how it works, I work in advertising) but you've completely missed my point and you are talking about viewing figures of live sport. My question is why put the scores on the home page where there is no opportunity for avoidance for those who do not wish to know the result before enjoying a pre recorded programme? Put the results on the sport page not the home page. People can easily access the results in several ways in several media so dont force it down the viewers throat as soon as they turn on the sky box whether they've seen it live earlier in the day, were at the game or as I stated are simply a viewer who wants to enjoy a recorded programme without knowing the outcome first. Ad revenue and viewing figures have no basis on the showing of a result.. advertise the highlights, the thumbnail and the opportunity to watch the game by all means.. just don't give out the results along with it. Advertisers spend most of their revenue on the live match as people will often skip ads on recorded or highlighted matches but that has no bearing on what Sky are doing with the information they have. I have spoken to several viewers who have said there is more enjoyment watching highlights when they don't know the score or how many goals are involved... 
When you give out presents to your family at Christmas do you say ' here you go, here's your toaster, merry Christmas' no, it's called surprise, the element of not knowing , excitement..' if you're one of those people who love your Apple Watch telling you every time someone's scored a goal on a Saturday afternoon then good luck to you..  I'm just asking Sky to rethink about those that don't.. and enjoy their recordings as intended, a surprise outcome. 

This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

@timosb wrote:

I appreciate all that and the evidence (I know how it works, I work in advertising) but you've completely missed my point and you are talking about viewing figures of live sport. My question is why put the scores on the home page where there is no opportunity for avoidance for those who do not wish to know the result before enjoying a pre recorded programme? Put the results on the sport page not the home page. People can easily access the results in several ways in several media so dont force it down the viewers throat as soon as they turn on the sky box whether they've seen it live earlier in the day, were at the game or as I stated are simply a viewer who wants to enjoy a recorded programme without knowing the outcome first. Ad revenue and viewing figures have no basis on the showing of a result.. advertise the highlights, the thumbnail and the opportunity to watch the game by all means.. just don't give out the results along with it. Advertisers spend most of their revenue on the live match as people will often skip ads on recorded or highlighted matches but that has no bearing on what Sky are doing with the information they have. I have spoken to several viewers who have said there is more enjoyment watching highlights when they don't know the score or how many goals are involved... 
When you give out presents to your family at Christmas do you say ' here you go, here's your toaster, merry Christmas' no, it's called surprise, the element of not knowing , excitement..' if you're one of those people who love your Apple Watch telling you every time someone's scored a goal on a Saturday afternoon then good luck to you..  I'm just asking Sky to rethink about those that don't.. and enjoy their recordings as intended, a surprise outcome. 

@timosb  Even though I don't watch sport I want you to know that someone on here knows exactly where you're coming from. Namely, me. You've made your point clearly & I don't get why nobody else can see what you mean. You may have seen my other post on here about how the same thing happens with film award shows, so I'm in complete agreement with you. There's a reason why we record certain programmes & why we'd like to watch them with the surprise element still intact. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I didn't get where I am today by writing ridiculous signatures.
timosb
Topic Author

Thank you so much. It's so nice to hear from someone who understands my issue and sadly finds it an issue in other areas, namely film. 
I am sure Sky will quote market research, viewer feedback etc but it would be nice of Sky to at least recognise that this is an unnecessary issue for many of their customers. 
thank you for your reply, I really do appreciate it. 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@timosb wrote:

Thank you so much. It's so nice to hear from someone who understands my issue and sadly finds it an issue in other areas, namely film. 
I am sure Sky will quote market research, viewer feedback etc but it would be nice of Sky to at least recognise that this is an unnecessary issue for many of their customers. 

@timosb 

Firstly, I completely agree with you.

This was raised to Sky when they first started doing it and their bizarre response was that seeing the score might encourage more people to watch the highlights!

Clearly a decision taken by someone who doesn't watch sport, as nobody who does would ever think that this was a good idea. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@timosb wrote:

They have done it's the Sky Logo at the top of your Sky Q Remote 

Fair comment @timosb maybe you are not familiar with the Sky logo at the top of the Sky Q remote which is a shortcut to your recordings.

If your Sky Q box is set up correctly you can turn the Sky Q box  and tv on and go straight to your recordings by pressing the Sky Logo and bypassing the Home Screen altogether 

timosb
Topic Author

I didn't know that.. thank you so much for sharing.... I will use that method now and bypass the Home Screen completely.. thank you. I wonder how many others don't know that shortcut? Thanks again 

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

@timosb wrote:

I didn't know that.. thank you so much for sharing.... I will use that method now and bypass the Home Screen completely.. thank you. I wonder how many others don't know that shortcut? Thanks again 

You are most welcomed @timosb 

This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

@best+of+the+best wrote:

@timosb wrote:

Fair comment @timosb maybe you are not familiar with the Sky logo at the top of the Sky Q remote which is a shortcut to your recordings.

If your Sky Q box is set up correctly you can turn the Sky Q box  and tv on and go straight to your recordings by pressing the Sky Logo and bypassing the Home Screen altogether 

@best+of+the+best Can you please explain what you mean by "If your Sky Q box is set up correctly ". I turned off my Sky Q box a minute ago & then turned it back on again using the Sky logo button as you suggested but it went directly to the Home page, not my recordings. I know about the logo shortcut button & I realise that it can be pressed quickly after accessing the Home page to move away from it, but the issue is still there, the Home page is the first thing you see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I didn't get where I am today by writing ridiculous signatures.

@Mr+Ripley wrote:

@best+of+the+best wrote:

@timosb wrote:

@best+of+the+best Can you please explain what you mean by "If your Sky Q box is set up correctly ". I turned off my Sky Q box a minute ago & then turned it back on again using the Sky logo button as you suggested but it went directly to the Home page, not my recordings. I know about the logo shortcut button & I realise that it can be pressed quickly after accessing the Home page to move away from it, but the issue is still there, the Home page is the first thing you see.

@Mr+Ripley maybe two presses of the Sky logo then apologies but I'm sure it's only one press on my Sky Q remote.

It's trial and error to bypass the Homescreen with the Sky Q remote as the remote is bluetooth you don't need line of sight to  change channels access your recordings or start up in full screen.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion