Discussion topic: Sheer amount of rubbish channels on Sky

This message was authored by Stuartyboy123 This message was authored by: Stuartyboy123

Sheer amount of rubbish channels on Sky

Anyone else scunnered with the crap on Sky ?.. I've been a subscriber since 1990..33 years, and just woke up to the sheer amount of filler progs, ancient progs, and just rubbish content.  I reckon I watch less than 5% of available shows.

Called Sky the other day which was the first time in years, expecting to get VIP service, and a friendly Scottish voice (livingstone call centre) as previously.... instead got two Asian operators both of whom I really struggled to understand.  And let's get something straight right here, that is in no way a racist comment, I'm merely stating how the call went, it was a bit of a nightmare start to finish.  I was looking to cut my bill, the latter came back with a 16 quid pm saving.. I'm a 150 pm subscriber.  Looking to tie me in for a further 12-18 months, none of this was what I was after so rang off and decided its time to bail..

I guess Sky have outsourced to a foreign call centre, as a VIP when I've called in the past you got thru straight away to a VIP call handler, the service then was great..but not anymore.  I could go on, but just throwing this out there to see what others think.. Cheers. Stu..

All Replies

This message was authored by PeteRG41 This message was authored by: PeteRG41

Re: Sheer amount of rubbish channels on Sky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

And what's your question here?

____
Pete.
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Stuartyboy123  You do need to be aware that a majority of channels you see & refer to are not Sky channels as they are not owned by Sky nor run by Sky.

You have a choice of you feel your subs aren't value for money then cancel.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Stuartyboy123 

Sky is not permitted to deny any legal channel* an EPG slot: the vast majority of channels are not owned by Sky, run by Sky or receive any income from Sky subscription fees. 

Discounts are almost always dependent on agreeing to a new 18 month minimum term.

*holding a UK broadcasting licence and complying with the Broadcasting Code

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Stuartyboy123  You do know you can cancel anytime? Oh, and I renegotiated my contract only last week with a very helpful & easy to understand Sky employee - they got 10 out 10 in the customer satisfaction survey 

I am just another Sky customer!
Stuartyboy123
Topic Author
This message was authored by Stuartyboy123 This message was authored by: Stuartyboy123

Read the post

Stuartyboy123
Topic Author

Yea but they are on Sky, who owns them is irrelevant

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Stuartyboy123 with occasional exceptions, I find I'm increasingly selecting my viewing from YouTube rather than Sky, Freeview, Netflix,or anywhere else mainstream. It's the occasional gem such as 'Billions', which keeps me as a subscriber. It's all very subjective though, obviously - one person's dross is another's must-see.

Personally, I've never had an issue with Sky customer service whether it's from Livingston or elsewhere.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Stuartyboy123 wrote:

It really is relevant, though, because it means Sky can have no control over content (which is what you were complaining about) carried by non-Sky-owned channels

There's an important distinction between Sky as a broadcaster of its own channels, and Sky as the provider of a much wider reception platform and regulated EPG.

Sky has sole control of content on fourteen channels, and joint control on six more:

Sky Showcase
Sky Max
Sky Atlantic
Sky Comedy
Sky Witness
Sky Replay
Sky Sci-Fi

Sky Arts
Sky Crime
Sky Documentaries
Sky History (joint venture with A+E Networks UK)
Sky History 2 (joint venture with A+E Networks UK)
Sky Nature

Sky News

Pick
Challenge
Comedy Central (joint venture with Paramount Global)
Comedy Central Extra (joint venture with Paramount Global)
Blaze (joint venture with A+E Networks UK)
Crime & Investigation (joint venture with A+E Networks UK)

Plus Sky Cinema and Sky Sports channels

Programming on all the other hundreds of channels listed in the Sky EPG is nothing to do with Sky.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Mark39 wrote:

@Stuartyboy123 with occasional exceptions, I find I'm increasingly selecting my viewing from YouTube rather than Sky, Freeview, Netflix,or anywhere else mainstream. It's the occasional gem such as 'Billions', which keeps me as a subscriber. It's all very subjective though, obviously - one person's dross is another's must-see.

Personally, I've never had an issue with Sky customer service whether it's from Livingston or elsewhere.

Another convert 🙂 I use YouTube for 99.9% of my viewing and apart from the adverts (to expensive to pay for advert free IMO) I love the free content and lack of mainstream media mindwashing 🙂

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@Stuartyboy123 wrote:

Anyone else scunnered with the crap on Sky ?.. I've been a subscriber since 1990..33 years, and just woke up to the sheer amount of filler progs, ancient progs, and just rubbish content.  I reckon I watch less than 5% of available shows.

I mean I feel watching 5% of the available content is quite a lot as there is so much available

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Stuartyboy123 wrote:

It really is relevant, though, because it means Sky can have no control over content (which is what you were complaining about) carried by non-Sky-owned channels

There's an important distinction between Sky as a broadcaster of its own channels, and Sky as the provider of a much wider reception platform and regulated EPG.

Sky has sole control of content on fourteen channels, and joint control on six more:

Don't forget E! and Movies24 are now Sky brands too 

https://www.skymedia.co.uk/channels/

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

@PeteRG41 wrote:

And what's your question here?

@PeteRG41 So what, we're not allowed to comment on here anymore? Everything has to be a question, does it? Ridiculous. Do you even know what forums are for? 

Anyway, check the post, the very first sentence is a question ( although I did have to look up the meaning of scunnered ).

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi Everyone

We welcome healthy debate from all angles, however can we be mindful of the Community Guidelines please.

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by Totalwar2 This message was authored by: Totalwar2

I agree there not much new content on sky platform at the moment.Sky lost quite a few programs to Disney channel which I used to watch.Then there the actors and writers strike.Which is going to delay new content.There also a problem finding new programs on sky stream.

Sky Steam Sky Boardband and Sky Moblie SKY BRING BACK NEVER MISS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion