Discussion topic: Sky Sports F1 UHD picture quality is worse than 1080i on Sky+ HD on Ted's Notebook

This message was authored by DaveyMames This message was authored by: DaveyMames

Sky Sports F1 UHD picture quality is worse than 1080i on Sky+ HD on Ted's Notebook

The pre-race race show for a Grand Prix and the Post-race chat programme are native 4K but Ted's Notebook which comes on immediately after the Post-race chat is clearly not 4K as it looks worse than if it was 1080i on Sky+ HD. It's looks worse because it has jaggy lines on the borders of objects which you get from poor upscaling/downscaling. 

Why are Sky not broadcasting Ted's Notebook in native 4K like they do with the other parts of the Grand Prix event?

If the original broadcast is in 1080i then I assume Sky are upscaling it to 4K for the Sky Sports F1 UHD channel because there's no auto resolution option on the Sky Q box to change the resolution of the box to match the resolution of the programme to 1080i? I can't even change the resolution of my box down to 1080i because then the box won't even let me watch anything recorded on the Sky Sports F1 UHD channel. This is bizarre. Sky Q was supposed to be better than Sky+ HD but it's actually giving a worse picture quality than Sky+ HD if the programme source is 1080i on the Sky Sports F1 UHD channel!

All Replies

This message was authored by TFCH This message was authored by: TFCH

Re: Sky Sports F1 UHD picture quality is worse than 1080i on Sky+ HD on Ted's Notebook

I completely agree and find even the pre/post race show appears fuzzy in HD on Sky Q. There's also a flatness to the image which is a shame as this should look as good as possible being the pinacle of racing. Occassionally, I have noticed a change in quality depending on the race but more oftent than not, it does look sub 1080i

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion