Discussion topic: Sky sports golf coverage.

This message was authored by Leeds1992 This message was authored by: Leeds1992

Sky sports golf coverage.

Is the coverage of the Masters all about one player. 

It is ridiculous the amount of air time given to tiger woods can we see some more of the other player's. 

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Sky sports golf coverage.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Leeds1992  I don't think sky are in control of the live feed, they are taking it from the host broadcaster but adding their own coms

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Leeds1992
Topic Author
This message was authored by Leeds1992 This message was authored by: Leeds1992

Even though they may not have control of the live feed when they are in the studio it's all they talk about. 

@Leeds1992  Given it's his first official event since the accident and what he's gone through to get to this stage I'm personally not surprised he's getting the attention he is

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

I think it was inevitable as soon as he showed up. 

Even the individual press conferences were dominated by his return with most (if not all) being asked about what they thought about his likely playing in the tournament.

There s absolutely no doubt it is a major story and he is a major draw but I agree that coverage could be wider

BTW It isn't limited to SKY - the BBC Golf coverage leads with it as I am sure all other coverage will

This message was authored by Christophergolfer This message was authored by: Christophergolfer

I thought i had been smart by recording the broadcasts from Sky and then play back and skip the bits i didn't need to see. I skipped over more than i watched. Tiger Woods is not in contention today but there he was on the driving range when other players were on the course. I can go to the driving range myself and actually hit balls. Why would i want to watch a player hit balls in practice. Does Sky get paid for the amount of air time they give to TW. My subscription might just lapse if the style of coverage continues. It isn't that important to me to watch Past Masters hitting golf balls.

@Christophergolfer  Again for the same reason as already stated it's out of sky's control as they are taking the live feed from the American broadcaster 

This message was authored by Midge9871 This message was authored by: Midge9871

Golf

I am shocked at the coverage tiger woods is getting 

for gods sakes.     Enough.      He is a horrible person.   And nowhere near the lead.     So stop wasting my money.   Show us the leaders.      
man's why is harry kane anywhere near the golf.    He can't even play football.       
shamenon you sky 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Midge9871 

Sky use the coverage provided by the host broadcaster. It not their own transmission.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Christophergolfer This message was authored by: Christophergolfer

It would be Sky's choice wether to use all of it or some of it interspersed with their own commentary. Even the Sky presenters can't help themselves mentioning "His" name at every opportunity. Give the guy a rest and the viewing public from the sycophantic slobbering.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

I really enjoyed all the four and more extra days of the Masters coverage that Sky showed us.
The commentary, red button feeds and all those extra old tournaments, analysis, on the range etc all made for great golf viewing.
I for one loved all the Tiger Woods coverage and welcomed it after his accident and from what I heard, all the players, staff, commentators, analysers and crowd did too.

There was plenty on the red button to follow other groups and holes if you wanted some avoidance of it. 

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by whatnobroadband This message was authored by: whatnobroadband

I'm afraid I have to agree with the terrible coverage of golf in general by Sky listed on the forums.

Golf is played in many tournaments all over the world the with 90% share of coverage on Sky Golf by the USPGA.

Lesser televised  competitions:

The DP tour (mens)

Asian tours

LET (Ladies European Tour)

LPGA (Ladies)

Sky only shows only the big money competitions with repeats over several days when it could be showing live events from elsewhere. Not all events run at the same time of day, for goodness sake give us some variety!

I pay a lot for golf coverage on this channel but have to go to youtube for the tour highlights on the tours above!!!!

Even my wife who isn't interested in the channel asked why its the same coverage repeated over and over again

Sky... sort this out!😡

You were gracious enough to offer a suggestion re Sky taking feed from A N Other broadcaster. Do you know which broadcaster had the rights for the 150th Open this last weekend. If it was Sky then comments previously posted are repeated again for Thursday and Friday (Tiger Woods coverage). Another annoyance is the limited viewing of other golfers who made the cut. 83 golfers made the cut and i would hazard  that less than half were exposed at all. With the amount of cameras positioned at various holes, every one could have had 20 seconds of glory. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Christophergolfer wrote:

With the amount of cameras positioned at various holes, every one could have had 20 seconds of glory. 

At the expense of incredibly fragmented coverage with constant jumping between holes and players at a far higher frequency than is barely tolerable now.  Realistically it's an understandable editorial decision to concentrate on those likely to be in contention for a top twenty finish, plus individuals who will have a lasting legacy within the sport irrespective of current performance.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Golf by its very nature moves from one hole to the next as the players progress around the course. So only limited fragmented coverage will  apply only to those  few players "In Contention" . If i read through the reply what is suggested is more coverage of the players in contention with little or no coverage of other players.  But that would only be on the last day. What about the three previous days. Sounds like a schedule for LIV Golf on TV, when all are in contention either as a team or as individuals.  I would rather watch more players actually taking on the challenge on the golf course , than presenters talking to each other about "When i played".  Change in format and style needed i feel.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion