Discussion topic: Anyone got the Pucks working well?

This message was authored by dormouse This message was authored by: dormouse

Anyone got the Pucks working well?

A number of current Sky Q users have mentioned that the appeal of Glass is the Puck, which would enable 4K in a number of rooms. Many posts of Puck problems, so I'm curious to hear if people have got their pucks working well and reliably? Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by DrMips This message was authored by: DrMips Answer

Re: Anyone got the Pucks working well?

I've not had any problems picture wise (it's connected via ethernet to a very fast connection). The menus sometime freeze for a second or so.

-----------------
Sky Glass 55" | 1 Puck | Virgin 1Gb
Principal Software Engineer

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dormouse wrote:

A number of current Sky Q users have mentioned that the appeal of Glass is the Puck, which would enable 4K in a number of rooms. Many posts of Puck problems, so I'm curious to hear if people have got their pucks working well and reliably? Thanks

There have been some issues with pucks, however the forum is usually full of posts when people have issues.  Mostly the pucks work well.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Essex+Guy This message was authored by: Essex+Guy

Nope. I have four of them and they all need several restarts a day to get them to even work. When they are working, they still glitch out (video speeds up, slows down or freezes) and occasionally just go to a black screen.

The Glass TV itself works fine.

This message was authored by bradleyestn This message was authored by: bradleyestn

My puck goes black screen, video speeds up and slows down several times a day. 

This message was authored by dogmatic6 This message was authored by: dogmatic6

I would be surprised if anyone has a fault free puck! 

it seems the random black screen, video slowdown/speedup and the need to reboot frequently is experienced by all puck users.

my glass tv on the other hand has been performing really well and I'm pleased with it.

This message was authored by DrMips This message was authored by: DrMips Answer

I've not had any problems picture wise (it's connected via ethernet to a very fast connection). The menus sometime freeze for a second or so.

-----------------
Sky Glass 55" | 1 Puck | Virgin 1Gb
Principal Software Engineer
This message was authored by hori62 This message was authored by: hori62

Mine do exactly the same, except for blacking out. But there is one programme on Netflix I can't get most of the time, just a spinning wheel or 24% . So I tried my wireless blue ray player which is so old I can't remember when I got it, picked up the show with no problems. Work that one out!!

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

No issues as yet with my Puck, have it hardwired and working fine thus far...

This message was authored by Silverfox8 This message was authored by: Silverfox8

I have bt broadband and needed. another disc. 
I have 4 pucks and 2 bt I discs.

Few issues because I could not get the Wi-fi stable. 
New disc arrived yesterday .

No issues with any of the pucks yet. 
proving to be more stable than q for me.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@GD1 @Can I ask how you know that mostly the pucks work well ?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Anonymous  Plenty of posts stating the pucks work well (mostly).  I have both the Glass TV & Puck, both work well.  There are some bugs still, even on the pucks. 

They are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

We also need to remember that the forum tends to attract more people who have issues looking for help than those happy with their setup.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

My experience with 24 hours usage is that the pucks are far less stable with issues with stuttering and freezing etc which could be down to.a dodgy unit - I will swap it over with another over the weekend.

I think it somewhat depends on the TV it is feeding as the two units operating at HD seem fine its the one feeding my LG OLED that is causing issues including an obscure issue with switching the TV from ARC output to internal speakers. Happens at intervals when the puck is connected and doesnt if the HDMI is disconnected. Swapping two over should identify if its a system issue or a rogue unit. 

@GD1 is right that the forum is not a reliable source to know whether units are reliable the Q forum still attracts dozens of negative issues daily but overall is a reliable system.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by dogmatic6 This message was authored by: dogmatic6

@Chrisee 

you are having the exact same puck issues as me and probably quite a few others I suspect.

I have also noticed the puck is more stable at 1080p but the puck is connected to my main living room tv which is also an LG. OLED so I want 2160 UHD.

will be interesting to hear if you experience issues with both pucks then once you swap them round.

mines will stay stable for 2-3 hours after a reboot in UHD live channel but then stutters.

when I first got the puck there was a lot of black screen drop outs but they have gone since the update so my main gripe now is unable to watch live UHD without a reboot and the random slowdown/speedup of picture that happens on all channels.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion