Discussion topic: Sky Q No Signal - Need to move dish

This message was authored by pbirah This message was authored by: pbirah

Sky Q No Signal - Need to move dish

Hi,

I'm having scaffolding with a tin roof put up and this is going to block my signal for Sky Q.

I called Sky and initally they were stating use Sky Go, before then stating due to lack of usage they will put me down to a very low price. On pressing it seemed like the advisor was wantign to re-contract me for 12-18 months and it would have been an offer I may have been able to obtain anyway since I'm out of contract.

I re-iterated, I simply wanted to move my dish. At this point I was quoted £60 but a lead time some time away which I declined.

I therefore would like opinions on a suitable cheap DIY signal meter to use to reposition the dish onto the scaffolding. There is enough cable length for this.

Thanks.

--
Sky Q V2 2TB Silver - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Fibre Max 80Mb
Sky Q Hub

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Sky Q No Signal - Need to move dish

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pbirah wrote:

Hi,

I'm having scaffolding with a tin roof put up and this is going to block my signal for Sky Q.

I called Sky and initally they were stating use Sky Go, before then stating due to lack of usage they will put me down to a very low price. On pressing it seemed like the advisor was wantign to re-contract me for 12-18 months and it would have been an offer I may have been able to obtain anyway since I'm out of contract.

I re-iterated, I simply wanted to move my dish. At this point I was quoted £60 but a lead time some time away which I declined.

I therefore would like opinions on a suitable cheap DIY signal meter to use to reposition the dish onto the scaffolding. There is enough cable length for this.

Thanks.

£60 is cheap, it would cost you a lot more for an independent installer to do this.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

pbirah
Topic Author

@GD1 wrote:

£60 is cheap, it would cost you a lot more for an independent installer to do this.

Plus another £60 to move it back again after.....

--
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Fibre Max 80Mb
Sky Q Hub
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@pbirah wrote:

@GD1 wrote:

Plus another £60 to move it back again after.....

@pbirah That's still cheaper than a local independent installer. Perhaps ring a couple and get quotes and timescales for when they can fit you in. Then it's your choice.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @pbirah 

To answer your specific request regarding a cheap  signal meter, unfortunately I don't know of any that would work with the wideband LNBs that SKY Q uses. 

There were some basic signal finders (that I think people in Caravan's might use) but these work with the frequencies provided by the Universal LNBs that SKY HD & Freesat use & won't work with the Wideband LNBs

AFAIK Meters that are suitable for the Wideband LNBs are likely to cost more than the cost of moving the dish (twice)  

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@pbirah wrote:..........I therefore would like opinions on a suitable cheap DIY signal meter to use to reposition the dish onto the scaffolding. There is enough cable length for this.

The cheapest DIY signal meter that comes with the ability to accept wideband lnb transponder signals pre-configured into its display menu is probably the labgear s501 meter, which retails for around £299.

Godfrey.

pbirah
Topic Author

Just as an update to this, I ended up moving it myself onto the scaffolding and then used an iPhone App and an older Sky+HD box signal meter screen to get the relevant signal strength. Then plugged the Sky Q box feeds back in and it all worked fine.

--
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Q Mini - CAT-6
Sky Fibre Max 80Mb
Sky Q Hub

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion