Discussion topic: Super Bowl 2021

This message was authored by johnandloz This message was authored by: johnandloz

Super Bowl 2021

Are Sky showing the super bowl in UHD this year?

I know Fox Sports in the US broadcast it in UHD last year but we didn't have it in the UK. Hoping that's changed this year

Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Roger+Peters This message was authored by: Roger+Peters

Re: Super Bowl 2021

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@johnandloz 

"Are Sky showing the super bowl in UHD this year?"

No one knows as yet other than the production staff at Sky and they are not telling🤷‍♂️
The way Covid is spreading in the USA and the fact that they are now reporting that the faster spreading variant has now been detected over there, it might even be cancelled. 

This message was authored by Raider999 This message was authored by: Raider999

@Roger+Peters 

cancelled - really, not sure where that comes from - the play-offs have/are continuing so I see no reason for SuperBowl to be cancelled.

pro-bowl is a virtual match ( but I don't ever bother watching - not a proper game in my view)

This message was authored by Roger+Peters This message was authored by: Roger+Peters

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Raider999 

"pro-bowl is a virtual match ( but I don't ever bother watching - not a proper game in my view"

Couldn't agree more.

I was just surmising about cancellation as the USA is reporting that the faster spreading variant of Covid has now been detected and are warning that they now expect infections to surge dramatically 
Seeing how it's affected the UK it's possible the US might take drastic steps as they seems to be all fingers and thumbs with their Covid strategy. 
"
US suffers bleak January as Covid rages and vaccination campaign falters"

Quote from the Guardian yesterday .

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Roger+Peters wrote:

@johnandloz 

"Are Sky showing the super bowl in UHD this year?"

No one knows as yet other than the production staff at Sky and they are not telling🤷‍♂️
The way Covid is spreading in the USA and the fact that they are now reporting that the faster spreading variant has now been detected over there, it might even be cancelled. 

2+2 does not equal 10. The biggest sports/broadcasting spectacle in the world will not be cancelled, especially not this close to the game.

@johnandloz  - There has been no announcement that this year's Super Bowl is being offered in UHD. The CBS press release notes that it's available via their over-the-air stations and CBS All Access but makes no mention of UHD (or 4K as they refer to it in the US).

The host broadcasters have shot it in 4K since 2018 but there's been no technical specification released (so far) this year that they're even doing that.

Outside of streaming services like Netflix and Disney+, UHD content is pretty rare in the US as virtually no broadcaster offers it - certainly not on a weekly basis as we get in the UK. As an example, for the entire NFL season last year, only 11 games were available in UHD to US viewers - everything else remained HD-only.

This message was authored by Jonathan+Barr This message was authored by: Jonathan+Barr

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion