Discussion topic: Why not just an app?

This message was authored by Blewis1973 This message was authored by: Blewis1973

Why not just an app?

While I love new tech, I don't understand why sky didn't just release a very polished app that can be installed on any device. Just like Netflix, Disney etc.

That seems to be all it is.

The only reason I can see is to make a lot of money by forcing the walled garden type sky ecosystem 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by M3rk This message was authored by: M3rk

Re: Why not just an app?

well i suppose they already have , Now TV, Glass is just another option for people.....

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

Good question.  It might eventually go that way and there would be benefit to Sky in that they dont need to support or manufacture hardware.  They obviously see a market for Sky Glass, we will see how it works out.  Could be that they feel people want to get "more" for their subscription and are used to only paying £9.99 per month for other apps so why is this sky app £50.  Where as if they also get all this kit either a Q box or the Glass TV it sets it apart.  I would also much prefer an app I could run on my Apple TV which outperforms a Q box or the Glass TV by a huge margin.

i've never had it, so am i wrong, Now TV is not the app you are saying is needed?

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

I think the OP was asking about an actual Sky or Sky Q app that you use instead of your Sky Q Box (essentually a virtual sky box that you run on your own device).  Now TV doesnt have all the channels of sky or live broadcasts.  Sky have went the all IP route with Glass but linked it to hardware you need to buy from them.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bemak187 wrote:

I think the OP was asking about an actual Sky or Sky Q app that you use instead of your Sky Q Box (essentually a virtual sky box that you run on your own device).  Now TV doesnt have all the channels of sky or live broadcasts.  Sky have went the all IP route with Glass but linked it to hardware you need to buy from them.

Yes, I'm sure that in Germany they have the Q app on some smart TV's, it's perfactly feasible, but as yet Sky have decided not to go down this route.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@bemak187 wrote:

so like Sky Go, but for all?

This message was authored by Urban+Splash This message was authored by: Urban+Splash

That's a great idea. Sky glass app. For any tv. I would go for that perhaps. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@GD1 wrote:

@bemak187 wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that in Germany they have the Q app on some smart TV's, it's perfactly feasible, but as yet Sky have decided not to go down this route.

The German Q app is very similar in functionality to Sky Go - but can only stream from a main box.

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@Blewis1973 wrote:

While I love new tech, I don't understand why sky didn't just release a very polished app that can be installed on any device. Just like Netflix, Disney etc.

That seems to be all it is.

The only reason I can see is to make a lot of money by forcing the walled garden type sky ecosystem 

Sky/Comcast have been saying for years that they see their future as a content aggregator, where their platform is the gateway to content from multiple providers.

So producing an app is unlikely, although hopefully they will eventually just have a streaming box solution.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion