Discussion topic: Half my usual broadband speed

This message was authored by Kenjiin This message was authored by: Kenjiin

Half my usual broadband speed

Hey everyone,

I've done a lot of searching and read through the many posts on this forum where this appears to be a common issue. One of them even indicated that the issue was sorted by the user after a private chat, though no information was given about how it was resolved. Also, massive June/July thread that just ends suddenly abruptly.

Essentially, I have the same issue. When I moved in (Dec 21) my speeds were a solid 38Mbps. Router stats said 39999, all pretty standard. At some point, the router stats dropped to 34999. I wasn't overly concerned and didn't consider it worth calling anyone.

But now and throughout all of September my throughput speed has dropped to 17Mbps. I gave it ample time to sort itself out. Did all the usual power cycles, disconnecting of devices and always testing via ethernet etc.

It's clearly a common issue from a quick search here, and I'm just looking to get the ball rolling in terms of speaking to Sky. Is it just the general number to call, or is there a more direct one anyone could provide? 

Interestingly enough, my minimum speed guarentee is 38Mbps. It's been 34Mbps for over a month even if you ignore the throughput issue. But the strange part is, when I review my contract on the Sky Account section, it seems to now believe my 'current package' estimated speed is:

• 29 - 32 Mb/s estimated download
  • 8.9 - 9.9 Mb/s estimated upload
  • 26 Mb/s minimum guaranteed download

I'm not too worried about this. I have the contract stating the minimum is 38Mbps, and even their Sky Broadband Speed Checker states it's 38 on my account. I just find it funny that Sky seems to have reduced all estimates for this line. Upload speed is unaffected, it's always between 9-10.

I'll drop some of the usual screenshots below. If I'm honest, I have enough routing problems with Sky and some online games that it just doesn't seem to like. Most are fine, but it really doesn't seem to route well to Blizzard's servers where I am. I know that will be almost impossible to get them to fix, and I'd happily just switch providers if needed. With these stats and this throughput issue, does it seem likely I'd be able to waver an early cancellation fee? If anyone could put me in touch with one of the Sky chat people that would be fantastic!

*Just a note - Uptime is only 20hrs cause I did try another power cycle late last night.

Sky Router Speed.PNG

Router states.PNG

Your Connection.PNG

Speedtest.net.PNG

My Package Sky.PNG

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Half my usual broadband speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kenjiin 

You are getting 34Mbps with a guarantee 38Mbps

Call sky on 150 from a sky landline or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone

Or if in Ireland

Call sky ireland on

Remove all the full stops

To report the fault and book an engineer

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Kenjiin
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give the number a call tomorrow.

In all honestly, if I was actually getting anything close to 34Mbps and not this common issue of the throughput speed being half, I'd just ignore it. 34 would be lovely at this point lol.

Quick question regarding cancellation under the minimum speed guarantee. Do you have to give them a certain amount of time to attempt a fix, or are those 3+ consecutive days stated enough to cancel on the spot? Thanks again.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Kenjiin 

I think from notifying openreach theres maybe 5 days to attend and maybe up to 28 days afterwards if its complicated.  . The 3 days is more to do with any refund due to being under the guarantee

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by arthur64 This message was authored by: arthur64

I had the issue back earlier in the year. There was a huge amount of users who were getting half expected speeds for no reason. It got sorted but don't think they ever explained what the problem was. Anyway my problem has returned in the last few days back to 16/17 mbps rather than usual 29 ish. Hope they sort it again!

This message was authored by Gematria This message was authored by: Gematria

I started a thread about this back in May as I had this problem, but it did eventually return back to normal.  Unfortunately, in the past week the same problem has resurfaced.  While the router shows that it's syncing at the speed that we should be getting (around 38), we're only seeing download speeds of around 17.  Very frustrating, as I thought it had all been sorted out. I'm out of contract soon, so not sure if I should start looking around at other options.

Yep, looks like the problem is back, did anyone establish exactly what the issue was - mine actually seems a bit lower today but still router synching correctly just not getting the speeds when do checks. I'm about 3 months away from being able to move on without penalty and at this rate I will not hesitate.

As far as I'm aware, no one got to the bottom of the problem - someone on the thread I started months ago put forward the idea that it was traffic management taken as an option instead of increasing backhaul capacity. But all very strange how the router always shows the speed at the correct/higher level, roughly double the usable speed.  In that thread, engineers who went out to people with the problem tried various fixes but ultimately couldn't fathom it, and could only put it down to something going on way back at Sky's end.  I had hoped that when it eventually ironed itself out, that was going to be the end of it.

If I'm going to change, not sure where to look. Obviously I don't want to move to something even worse.

Kenjiin
Topic Author

Oh hey!

Before making this thread I did notice that there were a lot of posts earlier in the year regarding the exact same situation, but like you said, it all seemed to iron itself out without any real conclusion.

When I posted this I thought I was the only one affected this time as I couldn't see any other recent posts. It's kind of reassuring in the short time that it seems to be affecting more people than just me, but in the long term, it definitely isn't a good sign.

I think my contract is up in May, and know where I'll be going. How long was it happening before it randomly fixed itself? Can anyone remember? 🙂

If you scroll through recent posts in this forum there are many posters mentioning a similar problem. A few days on and i'm still well down on what i normally get. The last time i had the issue i phoned Sky a few times and got absolutely knowhere. If it persists i will be moving on in new year, maybe earlier if i can get BT to pay my early termination charges. I dont have time to spend on the phone to Sky and will let this play out for another week and see how it goes. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@arthur64 Sky may release you if you complain formally see How to make a Sky complaint | Sky Help | Sky.com

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Glad to report my speed is back up to the expected 28-29 mbps this morning, so was down to half speed for about a week (guess). Any others having problems may be worth a speedtest. 

Thanks for the tip, @arthur64  - I just ran a speed test and the numbers are looking a lot more like they should. I know that yesterday it was still running at half speed (at best), so hopefully something, somewhere has now been put right. 

This message was authored by Jami3eer This message was authored by: Jami3eer

I have spoken to somebody at sky just this afternoon as I wondered why my broadband speed is only 30Mbps and it should be in the 70's. My router stats say that it is 70 odd but OOKLA says 30. 
the guy said it's because I have sky glass that I'm only seeing 30 instead of seventy? 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Jami3eer see mybanswer in the thread you started. It is easier if any issues arecdiscussed there.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion