Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Router - Not allowing Printer

This message was authored by Dan+Cleary This message was authored by: Dan+Cleary

Sky Broadband Router - Not allowing Printer

Hi,

I've had a previous thread on this. 

Our HP printer could not connect to the sky wireless hub, I had to create split tunnel 2.4g/5g

This worked for 1 day only, the router had to be recycled split tunnel still there but unable to connect since.

Printer has wireless direct, but the postage labels i require to print are online, so if my laptop connects to the printer wireless direct, i lose internet and access to the portal to print said labels. (3 laptops and pc tower in the house, they cannot all connect via usb to printer)

This has been going on for over a month and just about had enough now with sky.

The printer reports that the MAC address filtering is enabled on the router, i need to either add the printer mac address or disable mac address filtering, which i guess it must of enabled on day 2 when it required a recycle (we lost wifi with 2 orange lights on the router at the time), but I cannot find this in the router config.

Best Answers
Dan+Cleary
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dan+Cleary This message was authored by: Dan+Cleary Answer

Re: Sky Broadband Router - Not allowing Printer

fixed my own issue - very satisfying lol

for anyone else receiving MAC Address Filtering is enabled from their HP printer, you need to do the following:

Print error report (when trying to connect to wireless sky router), this will display your MAC address

then you need to access router config by typing http://192.168.0.1/ into the URL (chrome/ms edge/firefox ect)

Enter Password/login details for your Sky Q Wfi router: admin/your firewall password

Then goto Advanced > LAN IP Settings

half way down the page you will Address Reservation

Click Add

This will bring up a list of attached devices, underneath is where you can enter a IP Address, select a number (the last octec) that is not used (i used 4 for example) i.e. 192.168.0.4 or whatever last number is not used on your router

then enter the MAC address from the error report

finally give the device a name (note no spaces allowed, but it doesn't tell you this 😉 )

It will then need to reboot the router, to add the config.

once rebooted, you can tell if it worked by going to Maintenance > Attached devices, and you should find your printer listed - hooray

happy printing fellow HP users.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

Dan+Cleary
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dan+Cleary This message was authored by: Dan+Cleary Answer

fixed my own issue - very satisfying lol

for anyone else receiving MAC Address Filtering is enabled from their HP printer, you need to do the following:

Print error report (when trying to connect to wireless sky router), this will display your MAC address

then you need to access router config by typing http://192.168.0.1/ into the URL (chrome/ms edge/firefox ect)

Enter Password/login details for your Sky Q Wfi router: admin/your firewall password

Then goto Advanced > LAN IP Settings

half way down the page you will Address Reservation

Click Add

This will bring up a list of attached devices, underneath is where you can enter a IP Address, select a number (the last octec) that is not used (i used 4 for example) i.e. 192.168.0.4 or whatever last number is not used on your router

then enter the MAC address from the error report

finally give the device a name (note no spaces allowed, but it doesn't tell you this 😉 )

It will then need to reboot the router, to add the config.

once rebooted, you can tell if it worked by going to Maintenance > Attached devices, and you should find your printer listed - hooray

happy printing fellow HP users.

This message was authored by Cecile53 This message was authored by: Cecile53

Mine didn't work. It is just stuck on address reservation. I've tried adding it again but it just takes me back to the last page, and when i try re-reserving it, it says my MAC has already been reserved. 

This message was authored by Pat+Dennis This message was authored by: Pat+Dennis

@Dan+Cleary 

i am getting the same problem that you have described. I am trying to log into the advanced tab on the modem but it's not accepting it. Is it the password for the WiFi? I actually bought a new printer thinking that my other one was too old to cope with a new sky hub

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Pat+DennisWhich router do you have from the link below.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/which-sky-hub-do-you-have-no 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Pat+Dennis This message was authored by: Pat+Dennis

@Highlinder 

It's the third one. Sky broadband hub 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Pat+Dennisokay username is " admin " and password " is your WiFi password " unless you have changed it.

@Highlinder 

Thank you but I'm unsure what I have to do after that. When I log on to the modem it lists the devices connected which are my iPhone, iPad, tv and then 2 unknown. Do I go to the advanced tab? Any help is much appreciated, I have no clue what I'm doing 

@Pat+Dennis  Well it looks like @Dan+Cleary has the fix further up the thread.

@Highlinder 

I have followed the steps in @Dan+Cleary message and it's now connected. I've printed from my iPad but iPhone says the printer is off line. It definitely is on line 

This message was authored by Len66 This message was authored by: Len66

Hi, Sky sent me a new router but I can't print to my wireless printer.  I read that I need to separate the 2.4ghz from the 5ghz. Can you advise how you did this please  we've been on the phone to Sky and they couldn't do it either. Thanks

@Len66To split your Wi-Fi follow the directions in the link below.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-separate-WiFi-bands/ba-p/3530610 

@Highlinder 

Thought it may be helpful to give an update. Followed the steps to manually add the printer to the router. Only lasted for one session of printing and then disconnected. Eventually I phoned sky and after plugging in my old router everything worked perfectly. There is seemingly a fault with my sky router 4.2. They are sending a replacement so will see how that goes. Seems odd that quite a few people are having the same problem. 

@Len66 

Have a look at my reply to @Highlinder 

I reckon there's a fault with their routers. Mine is a 4.2. As soon as I plugged my old one back in everything worked perfectly. 

@Pat+DennisGlad that they are sending a new router out and that you still have the old one in the mean time. Let's see if the new router does work or if this could be a firmware issue with the 4.2 router.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion