Discussion topic: Upgrade time upgrade from Superfast to Gigafast fibre

This message was authored by Euanmc1977 This message was authored by: Euanmc1977

Upgrade time upgrade from Superfast to Gigafast fibre

Hi there,

Yesterday I upgraded from SuperFast Fibre to GigaFast.  Since the upgrade my speeds have been very irratic.  I have never seen anywhere near the 900Mbps - varying between 60Mbps to a max of 400Mbps

Does it take a period of time for the speeds to increase?

On the MySky app it is showing that I am on GigaFast.  I also have the @"old" SR203 router.

Many thanks,

Euan

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Upgrade time upgrade from Superfast to Gigafast fibre

@Euanmc1977 In theory no you should be good to go, are you also testing by ethernet only and all other devices off. I have copied a link, when you have time please read.

Answered: Sporadic partial internet outage with FTTP | Sky Community

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Upgrade time upgrade from Superfast to Gigafast fibre

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Euanmc1977 the SR203 is the standard router Sky supply for full fibre conections however it cannot provide 900Mb/s to a single device over Wifi. The highest wifi speed that unit can provide is around 6-700Mb/s as it only has a wifi5 chip set and even those speeds will only be attainable close to the hub. However given very few if any apps can use very high wifi speeds this need not be a concern. The Gigabit service is far more about ensuring mulitipe users accessing bandwidth simultaenously

The SR213 hub that comes as part of the Wifi Max bundle is equipped to offer Wifi6 speeds which will allow devices with Wifi6 chips to connect up to 900Mb/s in the immediate area of the hub but in practice its range is not much different from the SR203. Sky will supply up to 3 extender pods as part of the Wifi Max bundle but again while improving spedds do not expect to get over 700Mb/s through out your home.

It is possible to buy systems thst will provide higher wifi speeds but thry are not cheap so before buying these consider what if any of your apps can use the speeds let alone need them.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion