Discussion topic: booster box speeds are super low

This message was authored by Allymungus This message was authored by: Allymungus

booster box speeds are super low

so i have the 1gb download and 100 upload package but my kids upstairs have been complaining of lag and internet drops, however, I'm downstairs and PC is connected to ethernet and if I do a speed test downstairs I'm getting 600 down and 100 up on my phone, my question is how do I know if their devices are connected to the booster and the reason there speeds are low is because they are hooking onto my connection from the router downstairs, I even went on my phone disconnected wifi and reconnected and I'm getting 60 down if I'm lucky and about 40 up, I have moved my main router downstairs think its not getting a good link to the booster but still no change, any help to know if they connected to the main or the booster box please as for what I pay for I'm not getting upstairs, Many thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: booster box speeds are super low

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Allymungus boosters or more properly extenders can only provide speeds that are 50% of the speed on their connection to the router so they should be placed roughly half way between where the hub is and where you need the boost. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Allymungus
Topic Author
This message was authored by Allymungus This message was authored by: Allymungus

my main router is at the bottom of the stairs and the booster at the top and I would be happy even if it was 50%  tbh

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Allymungus sounds like you may need something better than a booster in your home. If the booster has a RJ45 socket a pair of powerline adapters should work these use the home's mains wiring to carry the signal. You plug one into a wall socket and  connect it by ethernet to the hub  The second adapter is similarly connected to the booster. Note not all Sky boosters have a rj45 ethernet port though.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Allymungus 

Even 60down & 40up is way more than you need for a stable streaming or gaming experience so its likely your kids are complaining because of WiFi drops. Ideally you should use ethernet for any sensitive applications they have like gaming.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Allymungus
Topic Author

i do have a pair of these but not used them in a while as I think they are only 2.4ghz plus I guess I assumed the equipment from Sky and the amount I paid for it would give all stable speeds I went up to my son room earlier and 1 minute he's getting 40 down 3up next minute he's getting 4 down and 40 up its so unstable and he's right next to the sky booster, I even plugged an ethernet cable into the booster and his PC and made no difference

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion