Discussion topic: want to move my hub but need longer cable

This message was authored by mother+mercia This message was authored by: mother+mercia

want to move my hub but need longer cable

i need to move my hub but the cable that goes from the phone socket to the purple port on hub is too short.  Please can you advised where or how i get one of thes cables, but a longer one then i have been issued with the hub

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Dan.JC This message was authored by: Dan.JC

Re: want to move my hub but need longer cable

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, 

The cable is called an ADSL cable and you can buy them online from various sizes.  

Sky only produce one size however and this is because longer cables are more prone to inference and this will hamper the broadband speed your hub receives.  

I have been into customers homes many a time for broadband issues where a cheaply made and overly long cable was the cause of the problem.  It can really be a night and day difference when it comes to broadband.  

mother+mercia
Topic Author
This message was authored by mother+mercia This message was authored by: mother+mercia

Thank you 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mother+mercia 

Also sold online as 'RJ11-to-RJ11' cable.

RJ11.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
mother+mercia
Topic Author

Thank you 

This message was authored by h.h. This message was authored by: h.h.

hi @Dan.JC 

just read your recommendation/explanation and as i am needing also a longer ADSL cable for my SKY

and you advise to get a top quality one hope you be kind enough to tell this(me) clueless person the make(s) of a good top quality. have been trying to figure it out but nervous to order in case it's the wrong one.

i  am also wondering now if there is a difference in quality for telefon extension leads.

kind regards

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@h.h. I have a 6 metre one as needed to move my modem too, there different lengths available here https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BHT7N7X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I've not had any issues in speed or quality since using this 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

@h.h. I have a 6 metre one as needed to move my modem too, there different lengths available here https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BHT7N7X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I've not had any issues in speed or quality since using this 

Personally I would go for one of these unless you are already getting a good sync speed. Link. 

On my connection which is not the best, it was the difference between getting 28 Mbps with a 3m flat cable and 33 Mbps with Cat 5 one. The cheaper flat cable attenuate the high frequencies more than the more expensive Cat 5 ones.

Hi does it matter how many pins the extension cable has as sky has 2 and online show 4?

This message was authored by Emcia This message was authored by: Emcia

Hi. 

The  cable that you put link up is not available anymore on amazon. Is there any other one which is great as that one you recommended? I am not sure what I should look for. Much appreciated for you help and unswerving. Thank you. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Emcia 

Currys/Dixons do 5-10 metre dsl cables

https://www.currys.co.uk/GBUK/product-10119311-pdt.html

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thank you so much. 🙂

@cookiemonsteruk 

Just one more question is good for fiber brodband? I rather not loose the speed? The main socket/ box connection is located downstairs but WiFi dosent cover whole flat so I need to move the hub upstairs? Thank you once again. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Emcia 

It called dsl because its used for adsl copper and vdsl fibre to the cabinet. Once you go ultrafast fibre to the premise then you'll get an ethernet cable.  If you are superfast thats what you'll for the time being. 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Hammers0895 This message was authored by: Hammers0895

Just wondering if some one could help, just recieved my new sky broadband hum ready for go live next week. But the cable from the hub to the phone socket is not long enough as my master socket is in the hallway and hub will need to be in the lounge. I notice that the cable that comes with the hub has two connections and longer ones I can find seem to have 4 connections. Would that work ? Or does any one know where I can get the correct longer cable.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion