Discussion topic: Sky Glass keeps disconnecting from the internet.

This message was authored by CLH0203 This message was authored by: CLH0203

Sky Glass keeps disconnecting from the internet.

I am having issues with my Sky Glass disconnecting from the internet. 

I have the hub 4 from Virgin Media, and no matter what I do, the TV always seems to disconnect, or run slow. Everything else works fine. From phones/tablets/laptops, to gaming. But the TV always disconnects or buffers.

I spoke to someone at Sky, and they advised to move my router away from the window, which I did. But it didn't fix the issue. Spoke to Virgin, who have sent out a new router - But I'm still having the same issue. 

Has anyone got any advice on what I can try? Or does anyone else have the same issue?!

Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: Sky Glass keeps disconnecting from the internet.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CLH0203 

Try changing the "Networked standby mode" to ON. This can be done through Settings > Start up & standby.  This cured the problem for me.

Also, if you can you are better off using an Ethernet or a powerline adapter.  Having said that I am on wi-fi and no longer have any problems.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@CLH0203 your Sky Glass requires both a faster and more reliable connection than most other devices

. If wifi doesnt work and many of the free routers you get from ISPs are not the best wifi uniyts, then you may want to try alternatives. Using an ethernet cable is the best solution but is often impractical, anothercsuggestion is using powerline adapters that send thecsignal through your homes mains wiring or invest in a w hole home wifi set up and turn off thecwifi on your Virgin router.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Brooksy1995 This message was authored by: Brooksy1995

I have the same issue. 

My present set-up is sky glass tv with an ethernet cable in for internet source. 
We have sky wifi - the maximum speed they could offer us was the 66mb "super fast fiber"

We even upgraded our wifi router to a sky max wifi 6 router. 

Since the wifi is sky owned we can rule out sky wifi and the router being an issue. 

It is 100% an issue with our sky glass model. 

Anyone else have similar set up / issues and found a work around? 

Thanks 
Laura 

This message was authored by Brooksy1995 This message was authored by: Brooksy1995

Hi 

Does your sky wifi max hub help the sky glass tv. 
We are struggling with intermittent connection in our very small flat in which the router is less than probably 5 meters away! 

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Brooksy1995 wrote:

Hi 

We are struggling with intermittent connection in our very small flat in which the router is less than probably 5 meters away! 

If you've got it connected via ethernet then make sure that WiFi is turned off on the network settings on your Glass TV. It'll default to this even when the ethernet cable is connected.  

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Brooksy1995 wrote:

Hi 

In flats in particular you will be affected by interference from neighbours' WIFI networks.

Its generally best for the Sky streaming platform in this particular case to be connected via ethernet, with the Wifi disabled in the settings on the TV. I also live in a flat, had the same issue with my Sky Stream puck for the first few days, switched it over to ethernet and have had no issues related to the stability of the network connection or speed since.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Thanks all for responding 

I will see if i can disable the wifi now on the glass TV.  As for the ethernet cable its plugged in via a powerline mains adapter as the router is in a different room. My thoughts are this is still more reliable than wireless. Am i correct? 

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Brooksy1995 wrote:

I will see if i can disable the wifi now on the glass TV.  As for the ethernet cable its plugged in via a powerline mains adapter as the router is in a different room. My thoughts are this is still more reliable than wireless. Am i correct? 

It should be better but worth checking by connecting the ethernet cable you have from the powerline adaptor to the Stream puck on another device to make sure it's functioning properly. 

Also check the speed that's actually being received by the Glass TV by opening the Netflix app, navigate to the get help menu and run a network check. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Brooksy1995 wrote:

So that precises matches my setup so i would expect it to work, however there can be some issues with powerline adapters,

NOT a Sky Employee

Could it be the powerline adapter needing replacing maybe?

Thanks for the netflix speed check idea 

Ive checked the speed the TV is receiving via the powerline adapter and its just provided me with 47.27 Mbps. 

Since the blue screen / crashing / disconnection is 99% of the time occuring with apps running such as paramount etc. I have also gone into the settings and refreshed the apps for any updates. 

Will see how it goes over next 24 hours. Has anyone had a replacement TV before if it was deemed faulty by sky? 

@Brooksy1995 wrote:

Ive checked the speed the TV is receiving via the powerline adapter and its just provided me with 47.27 Mbps. 

Since the blue screen / crashing / disconnection is 99% of the time occuring with apps running such as paramount etc. I have also gone into the settings and refreshed the apps for any updates. 

Will see how it goes over next 24 hours. Has anyone had a replacement TV before if it was deemed faulty by sky? 

That speed should certainly be fine,so if the app refresh doesn't help i would be inclined to say its a faulty device based on the evidence and testing you have done.

NOT a Sky Employee

@Brooksy1995 wrote:

47Mbps should be OK, as long as it maintains that kind of speed. Fluctuations are precisely what can usually send Glass into a tizzy. 

As powerline adapters use your electrical wiring to pass the signal from your router there is a chance it's picking up some electrical interference from other devices being turned on/off which could affect the quality of the signal. 

The only other thing to try to make sure it's not the Glass unit itself which is faulty, is to get a long ethernet cable and connect directly to your router, even if just temporarily. You can get 5-10 metre cables for less than a tenner on Amazon. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion