Discussion topic: Using sky stream and a different location

This message was authored by RC2023 This message was authored by: RC2023

Using sky stream and a different location

Would my sky stream work at a different address ? My 83 year old mum currently has sky q which she has had for 7 years. 

she is partialy sighted and only watches about four  channels. However her subscription is nearly £60 per month & sky say they can reduce it to £50 if she re-contracts. As she doesnt record anything . I wanted to see if stream would be better for her. Has anyone tried the box at a different location?

thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Re: Using sky stream and a different location

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RC2023  using hardware and subscription services at an address other than that registered on your sky account is a breach of contract and could incur monthly additional location charges 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
RC2023
Topic Author

Even just for a few hours? It's literally just to see if she can use. I'm not planning on leaving it at her home.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@RC2023  Forum rules state we can't endorse anything that would breach terms and conditions 

if you choose to ignore the advice already given then you have to be prepared for any subsequent consequences of your own actions 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/use-of-streaming-tv-subscription-outside-your-address

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Fraser8 This message was authored by: Fraser8

I'm interested to know the 4 channels your mother watches? If they're all available on terestrial TV then maybe she would be better to scrap the subscription TV alltogether?

RC2023
Topic Author

They are fta channels , but she relies on the voice control on the remote because she cant see the numbers to change channels. If freesats remote had voice control we would move to freesat.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RC2023 wrote:

If freesats remote had voice control we would move to freesat.

Freesat, almost by definition, doesn't have the income stream required to maintain the server infrastructure to support that.

Realistically the approaching end of satellite television makes any future widening of functionality very unlikely.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@RC2023 wrote:

They are fta channels , but she relies on the voice control on the remote because she cant see the numbers to change channels. If freesats remote had voice control we would move to freesat.

An Apple TV 4K box has very effective voice control. I can say "play BBC1" or "play ITV1" into the Siri remote and it will automatically start playing the live stream of that particular channel from the iPlayer or ITVX app. Doesn't cost anything, other than the cost of the box itself of course, and no subscription is necessary. You can also say the name of the programme you want to play on demand too and it'll load it up. My 79 year old mother now uses one and loves it. 

But I really shouldn't be promoting other services... that's naughty. Sky Stream's great!  

RC2023
Topic Author

After speaking to 3 different people at sky an advisor told me about "sky tv essentials" a £15 per month package that ticks all the boxes so thats alot less hassle 

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@RC2023 wrote:

There is no need to use use numbers to change channels. You can use the channel up/down buttons and deactivate all the channels apart the 4 watched😉

An option to consider to remove the need to pay to watch FTA channels🙂

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion