Discussion topic: Wifi calling

This message was authored by rojak This message was authored by: rojak

Wifi calling

Sky Mobile gives a list of compatible phones that support wifi calling but says that "If you didn't get your phone from us, it might not be compatible with Sky Mobile Wi-Fi calling."

I'd like to know whether phones bought from a supplier other than Sky "might not be compatible....." or "definitely won't be compatible...."

So, is anyone out there able to successfully use 'wifi calling' on Sky Mobile using a phone that was not bought directly from Sky?

If so, can you advise which model of phone you are using and, if possible, where you bought it from.

Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

rojak
Topic Author

Re: Wifi calling

As a follow up to my previous post, and just in case anyone is interested, I decided that although I definitely wanted wifi calling, I didn't want to be tied into a 24 or 36 month phone contract and the associated loan arrangement.  To ensure I got a UK spec phone I purchased a Samsung A20e direct from Samsung UK, which arrived this morning.  The phone automatically defaulted to wifi calling as soon as I had completed the initial set up.   Whereas with my old phone I had to stand in a particular part of the house to make and receive calls, I can now use the phone with good quality reception anywhere in the house.

This message was authored by KTSK This message was authored by: KTSK

So to confirm? You are using a Sky Sim only deal with your Samsung phone?  I'm thinking of swapping to Sky mobile from EE and have a Samsung phone bought directly from a Samsung store.  I currently have WiFi calling ok on an EE sim only deal.

rojak
Topic Author

Due to very poor mobile reception where I live, I bought a Samsung A20e from Samsung specifically for wi-fi calling and this did work with a Sky Mobile SIM only deal.

The A20e was OK but the screen is relatively small, so after  a  couple of months bought a used Samsung J4+  (because it was wi-fi calling compatible and had a 6" screen) which had 3 (Three) firmware installed.  I therefore decided to switch to a 3 SIM only deal, mainly because the 3 offering seemed superior to Sky Mobile and , crucially, includes texts, which have become essential for online banking etc..  Sky Mobile may include texts via wi-fi but I couldn't find any written confirmation online and didn't ever receive any with wi-fi calling enabled on the A20e..

I'd strongly advise you to check the SIMSherpa website https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/best-wifi-calling which I found to be the best source of non-technical information for wi-fi calling. 

Hope this helps.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion