Discussion topic: Fed up with Sky Q Mini Box

This message was authored by bellecat22 This message was authored by: bellecat22

Fed up with Sky Q Mini Box

This has been going on for months but it has happened multiple times over the past few days. The Sky Q mini box keeps disconnecting from the wifi at random intervals, but if I leave it for ~10 mins it will reconnect again.

I have tried rebooting, performing a network reset, etc which work for a few hours but then the connection drops again. and I have to start over. It means I barely use the mini box now.

I have the Sky Q box connected via ethernet and the mini box connected via Wifi.

Any recommendations? I'm borderline thinking of cancelling it

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Fed up with Sky Q Mini Box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bellecat22 wrote:

This has been going on for months but it has happened multiple times over the past few days. The Sky Q mini box keeps disconnecting from the wifi at random intervals, but if I leave it for ~10 mins it will reconnect again.

I have tried rebooting, performing a network reset, etc which work for a few hours but then the connection drops again. and I have to start over. It means I barely use the mini box now.

I have the Sky Q box connected via ethernet and the mini box connected via Wifi.

Any recommendations? I'm borderline thinking of cancelling it

Hi @bellecat22 

If you are on Sky Broadband then the mini can connect to the WiFi from the main Q box or the Sky Router whichever is nearer.

However if on 3rd party (non Sky) WiFi then you are limited to connecting to the main Q box WiFi.

Exactly what procedure are you carrying out when you perform the Network reset on the mini?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

I ended up using powerline ethernet for my minis for exactly this reason.

This message was authored by Igiveuponsky This message was authored by: Igiveuponsky

I have had this problem for over six months. It appears that Sky Q boxes are designed for Cardboard houses. We now live in the reception room that has the main Skybox. It's not working, given different viewing tastes. It's either get rid of Sky or Divorce. Getting rid of Sky is probably cheaper

This message was authored by Igiveuponsky This message was authored by: Igiveuponsky

P.s. family members are on zoom calls, devices, etc all through the house, so don't critisise the Competition's wi-fi coverage

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Igiveuponsky wrote:

I have had this problem for over six months. It appears that Sky Q boxes are designed for Cardboard houses. We now live in the reception room that has the main Skybox. It's not working, given different viewing tastes. It's either get rid of Sky or Divorce. Getting rid of Sky is probably cheaper

What have Sky said about your issues @Igiveuponsky 

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

It's not the fact of the wifi coverage of the competition isp it's the fact that your on a 3rd party ISP and your mini boxes won't connect their router.

The mini boxes connect to skys hidden mesh WiFi network if you are not with sky broadband. The way the mesh was implemented was appauling and whoever designed it clearly didn't understand networks at all.

Might be work getting in contact with sky and getting a sky q booster

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion