Discussion topic: Main SkyQ causes network loop on switch and disconnects from network. STP loop dection.

This message was authored by 64monks This message was authored by: 64monks

Re: Main SkyQ causes network loop on switch and disconnects from network. STP loop dection.

I'm ready to switch over to Stream. I'm hoping it's less fussy....

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Re: Main SkyQ causes network loop on switch and disconnects from network. STP loop dection.

I've noticed that when minis are hardwired it creates a loop and it bombs my network as my minis connects via Ethernet to my core switch and for some reason still shows up as connected to my main q box which is on another switch which then creates a loop and a broadcast storm,

Enabling STP just kills the mini boxes from working, only way I got them to work was having my main q box hardwired to my switch and then connecting mini boxes to the main box with WPS, having STP enabled or disabled doesn't matter in this scenario

(I'm not with Sky Broadband)

IMG_1456.png

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
BobbyLovesSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by BobbyLovesSky This message was authored by: BobbyLovesSky

The permanent solution is to turn off wifi on all the boxes then set up a dedicated VLAN and put all sky boxes on it up to 4 in total. If you have 5 or more create another VLAN with a 2nd master box.

Nobody in sky tech support will be able to help. The developers have network bugs in the skyQ network code that ignores the switch SSTP and causes broadcast storms using up 90% of the network bandwidth. You can see it in the wireshark logs they try to set up their own little network within your network and they all scream looking for a virtual mac address that doesn't exist. You can't even ping the Q boxes on the network. 100% VLAN will solve the problem.

Whoever created the sky mesh system knows absolutely nothing about network...

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BobbyLovesSky wrote:

The permanent solution is to turn off wifi on all the boxes then set up a dedicated VLAN and put all sky boxes on it up to 4 in total. If you have 5 or more create another VLAN with a 2nd master box.

Nobody in sky tech support will be able to help. The developers have network bugs in the skyQ network code that ignores the switch SSTP and causes broadcast storms using up 90% of the network bandwidth. You can see it in the wireshark logs they try to set up their own little network within your network and they all scream looking for a virtual mac address that doesn't exist. You can't even ping the Q boxes on the network. 100% VLAN will solve the problem.

Do you mean SSTP?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@ThePope27 wrote:

@ThePope27 the Sky mesh system is from Airties so you need to read up on  how the Airties network is supposed to work 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

@Laing1,

That's great but "Airties" is atrocious.

Doesnt follow any of the basics of networking.

@Laing1 wrote:

@ThePope27 wrote:

@ThePope27 the Sky mesh system is from Airties so you need to read up on  how the Airties network is supposed to work 

Is it supposed to flood the network with broadcast packets? 😉

@Chodley wrote:

@Laing1 wrote:

@ThePope27 wrote:

Is it supposed to create loops in networks 😉

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@ThePope27 wrote:

@Chodley wrote:

@Laing1 wrote:

@ThePope27 wrote:

Hi @Chodley 

@ThePope27 

Whatever it does it has been successful for millions of users since 2016

@oldfella,

I know your an avid Sky lover, but you have to admit the implementation was so bad

It isn't really successful, it just sort of works, but as soon as it doesn't like something it bombs it 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@ThePope27 wrote:

@oldfella,

I know your an avid Sky lover, but you have to admit the implementation was so bad

No such thing.  On BT Broadband here but I do love my Sky Q.

It isn't really successful, it just sort of works, but as soon as it doesn't like something it bombs it 

It " just sort of works for millions of Q users on Sky Broadband"

@oldfella wrote:

@ThePope27 wrote:

@Chodley wrote:

@Laing1 wrote:

@ThePope27 wrote:

Hi @Chodley 

@ThePope27 

Whatever it does it has been successful for millions of users since 2016

Except that the unreliable wifi networking is the single biggest issue on this forum since 2016.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion