Discussion topic: Powerline network problems can’t use apps (Prime, Netflix or store)

This message was authored by Rich246 This message was authored by: Rich246

Powerline network problems can’t use apps (Prime, Netflix or store)

I live in an area where traditional broadband just isn't an option (sub 1Mb connection) I didn't want to fork out for private leased line or starlink so looked for alternatives.

I have an EE 5G router that gives me anywhere between 50Mb and 250Mb connection (massive improvement).

The problem being this has to be in a specific location in the house and nowhere near Sky+ or the additional box. To overcome this I've got 3 x AV1000 Powerline boxes, I have one (the master) connected next to the router, with three separate Wi-Fi boxes spread around the house. I Also have two further slaves, with the Ethernet connections in sockets next to the two sky boxes.

This works throughout the house for internet, the kids can get onto their Xbox's, their smart TVs can access Prime, Netflix, Disney+, great. 

The problem is with the sky+ and sky Q multiroom boxes. I can connect via Ethernet to the Powerline adaptor, says connected, but I can't access any online content and get network errors with the various apps. I can connect to the Powerline Wi-Fi (which when tested in the same room is delivering speeds in excess of 50Mb) and again I get network connectivity options be that apps (netflix, prime) or sky store.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, I just don't know what. I'd be very grateful if someone, anyone has a solution to this problem or suggestions. 

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Powerline network problems can’t use apps (Prime, Netflix or store)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rich246 wrote:

I live in an area where traditional broadband just isn't an option (sub 1Mb connection) I didn't want to fork out for private leased line or starlink so looked for alternatives.

I have an EE 5G router that gives me anywhere between 50Mb and 250Mb connection (massive improvement).

The problem being this has to be in a specific location in the house and nowhere near Sky+ or the additional box. To overcome this I've got 3 x AV1000 Powerline boxes, I have one (the master) connected next to the router, with three separate Wi-Fi boxes spread around the house. I Also have two further slaves, with the Ethernet connections in sockets next to the two sky boxes.

This works throughout the house for internet, the kids can get onto their Xbox's, their smart TVs can access Prime, Netflix, Disney+, great. 

The problem is with the sky+ and sky Q multiroom boxes. I can connect via Ethernet to the Powerline adaptor, says connected, but I can't access any online content and get network errors with the various apps. I can connect to the Powerline Wi-Fi (which when tested in the same room is delivering speeds in excess of 50Mb) and again I get network connectivity options be that apps (netflix, prime) or sky store.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, I just don't know what. I'd be very grateful if someone, anyone has a solution to this problem or suggestions. 

Thanks

I'm confused, you cannot have Sky+ and Sky Q subscriptions at the same time

Rich246
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rich246 This message was authored by: Rich246

Sorry my bad (I'm blaming kids dad can I have a xxxxx while I'm typing) its Sky Q main box and a multi room sadditional box. sorry 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rich246 

WiFi will always be a problem for a Q Mini and non-Sky network hardware, so the first thing to try is switching off all the Sky wireless.

1) Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
2) Scroll down to highlight ‘Settings’ but DO NOTpress select.
3) Press ‘001’.
4) Press ‘Select’

Then: Network -

- 2.4Ghz wireless - Off

- 5Ghz wireless - Off

Do this on the main Q box to start with and try to get that online over ethernet, then if that's successful do the same with the Mini (which I'd suggest switching off entirely for now)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion