Discussion topic: Running a Sky Q box through an HDMI Switcher - Need some help, please

This message was authored by UKlloydi This message was authored by: UKlloydi

Running a Sky Q box through an HDMI Switcher - Need some help, please

I’m after a little AV advice/help please 🙂

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs. Into that I currently have:

- Sky Q
- Apple TV
- A Sony Soundbar

I also need to be able to connect a PS4 and a Wii. Previously I did this with an HDMI Switcher.

How it used to be:

HDMI 1 - Output from HDMI Switcher:
 * PS4
 * WiiU
 * YouView DVR
HDMI 2 - Apple TV
HDMI 3 - Soundbar

When Turning on PS4, the HDMI switcher automatically switched from YouView. But then we changed from YouView to Sky and I cannot have the Sky Q running through the HDMI switcher.

The Sky box REFUSES to work on this HDMI switcher. If I set up so that PS4, Wii and Sky all feed in to the switcher, it won’t work. I now have to unplug the cable from the Sky box and then physically reconnect to the PS4 and back each time.

I have also noted that if I try to run the Sky through another switcher (this one has no automatic changer, physical push buttons to do the routing), there is no signal. Basically, if the Sky box goes anywhere OTHER than direct to TV, it won’t work.

It has been suggested to me that the issue is related to HDCP2.2 support. With that in mind, I went online and found a 5-way switcher that appeared to support HDCP2.2. This is what I ordered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076XWNQP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trouble is, that TOO has failed to work. Exact same issue as previously.

I guess what I *REALLY* need now is for someone who has the Sky Q box running through a switcher like this to let me know what has worked for them. I'm actually beginning to wonder whether the issue is not the switcher at all, but the TV.

Any help will be greatly appreciated on this. Thanks

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Running a Sky Q box through an HDMI Switcher - Need some help, please

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @UKlloydi I don;t have a switcher like you mention (although I do use an A/V amp for my switching)

rthe first things I would suggest you try is to link your SKY  box directly to the TV HDMI Input you are using and see if that works - if not try changing any relevant settings.

It might help if you let us know the make & model of TV in case anyone here has experience of the TV and can confirm use or advise of problems 

UKlloydi
Topic Author

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't totally clear, but with the Sky box connected directly it is fine. So when I stated this:

My TV has 3 HDMI inputs. Into that I currently have:

- Sky Q
- Apple TV
- A Sony Soundbar

^ That all works. The point is that three inputs are just not enough to accommodate these *and* gaming consoles. Using an HDML switcher used to work for this, but it does not work with the Sky Q. So I really need to find someone who *is* currently doing this successfully. I don't really think I need to use an A/V amp, or rather I don't want to have to do that, as I have no need for the audio/amp side of things. I just want to be able to switch sources.

As for the TV model, it's a Toshiba 65U5863DB, and I've explored all settings/options there.

This message was authored by Raider999 This message was authored by: Raider999

SkyQ in one

Sound bar in two

Apple TV and games machines into the hdmi switcher and into three

simples really

as an aside my SkyQ goes into a hdmi splitter and out to TV (via hdmi) and DVD recoder (via a hdmi/scary converter) without any problems

UKlloydi
Topic Author

Alas, it's not that simple, because the issue that I have with Sky Q not working when passing through the HDMI switcher is the exact same issue that I previously had with the Apple TV connection. *Both* will only work if connected directly.

With earlier versions of Apple TV I could pass through a switcher, but when I upgraded to an Apple TV 4K, it would ONLY work if connected directly. My understanding is that this was to do with DRM. So, Apple TV took its own connection, the soundbar had one and everything else went through the switcher. But when I got Sky Q, I found that did the exact same as Apple TV.

So, if I can find a switcher that is known to work with Sky Q, it's likely to also work with Apple TV.

This message was authored by SarahHN This message was authored by: SarahHN

I have the same problem. All I want to do is wall mount my tv. I live in a new build and they put wall plates top and bottom with HDMI cable and ports. Any other device works through it but the Sky Q box. Even if I take a male adaptor is doesn't work, it has to be single cable direct to tv. I was thinking DRM too. We got the Sky Q box in December but only just now getting around to wall mounting. 

Have you solved the issue?

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@SarahHNIt could well be the installed cable is not a High speed (HDMI 2.0) one have you tried your Q Box at a lower resolution.

Everything in the chain has to be HDMI 2.0 to work, adapters etc etc.

Thanks Bob, yes I did try that. The plates they installed were HDMI 1.2 so I bought new plates with HDMI 2.0 and still no joy.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@UKlloydi  I'm no expert on this but, asumming that your soundbar has ARC & 2 HDMI in, how about:

soundbar ARC out into the TV HDMI ARC port

Sky Q into Soundbar HDMI In 1

Apple TV into Soundbar HDMI In 2

games consoles into switcher

Switcher into TV HDMI In

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

Can you connect the sounds bar via optical.  Then sky into hdmi 1, Apple TV into 2 and switcher with the other stuff into 3?

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@SarahHNIf the plates were not HDMI 2.0 there is a fair chance the cable they used was not either.

Thanks again Bob. I actually took the HDMI 2.0 plate and attached two HDMI 2.0 cables to either side of it outside of the wall system. So, Sky Q box - HDMI 2.0 cable - HDMI 2.0 plate - HDMI 2.0 cable - TV and still no joy. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SarahHN 

Generally speaking, embedding such things isn't really a good idea, and cabling should be loose in accessible ducting.  I suspect you'll need to replace the wallplates entirely.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

No HDMI switcher my tv has 3 HDMI ports also

Equipment

Sky Soundbox HDMI 1 connected to Sky Q box

Fire TV stick 4k HDMI 2 (could use Netflix and Amazon app on TV to free up this port

PS4 HDMI 3 

Apple TV app installed on smart tv and  PS4 which still leaves a port free for switcher if I feel the need to get one not

Screenshot_20210503-141954_LG TV Plus.jpg

Simples peoples 

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

Dont think its wall cabling as OP seemed to be suggesting they tested with cabling other than that in the wall.  Can you try soundbar via optical to TV and then sky into HDMI 1, Apple TV into 2 and switch box with other stuff into 3?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion