Discussion topic: Satellite signal problems

This message was authored by Cc81bravo This message was authored by: Cc81bravo

Satellite signal problems

I see quite a few people on here having satellite signal issues. Mine has now starting showing the same. Is there some kind of general sky problem. It is a beautiful day here and now I have 0 signal. Never had it before.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Satellite signal problems

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cc81bravo 

If there was a general issue with the satellite it would affect all Q and Plus users. Whenever a “no satellite signal” message is displayed firstly check that the connections from the Sky dish going into the back of your Sky Q box are still finger tight. Also check out the troubleshooting on this link
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-tv-no-satellite-signal-sky-q
It may then give you the opportunity to arrange an engineer to check the alignment of your dish.

A misalignment is not necessarily something that will be visible to the naked eye and could only affect one or two channels. If you’re on a communal dish you may initially need to liaise with your landlord or building management company.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Cc81bravo
Topic Author

It's a very odd problem. I have done all the rebooting steps. It shows I have zero satellite signal however I can now watch sky with no problems. The tv guide is now not available. 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Cc81bravo  Are both satellite cables plugged securely in the back of the box?

What you're describing is either a box, cable or lnb issue.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Daniel0210 wrote:

@Cc81bravo 

If there was a general issue with the satellite it would affect all Q and Plus users. 

Which is something like ten million households, so would probably be noticed...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Cc81bravo
Topic Author

I have checked the cables are into the back of the box properly. Should I still be able to watch with no interruptions with a zero satellite signal?

@Cc81bravo  One of the inputs isn't working by the sounds of it, so it may cause an issue.

Best to get an engineer to check thing over.

https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-tv/sky-tv-q/fixing-sky-q/fixing-live-tv/picture/articles/sky-q-pic...

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Cc81bravo
Topic Author

Ok thanks for your help

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@Cc81bravo wrote:  Should I still be able to watch with no interruptions with a zero satellite signal?

The Sky Q receiver only displays information about the default satellite transponder signal (Tp3), which has the task of providing the datastream required to populate the menu, which explains why this is not presently working.

Alas your Sky Q receiver does not provide signal strength and quality information about the other 57 satellite transponder signals required to provide 100% trouble free reception.

Thus, from your description it looks highly likely that you will require the attendance of a Sky engineer to analyse this problem which will probably require nothing more than re-aligning your satellite dish.

TP fails with misaligned dish.jpg

Godfrey.

This message was authored by NigelL This message was authored by: NigelL

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue right now (06.05.24 - 17.30) most of the satellite channels have dropped dead, bar C5, which seems a bit more than a coincidence if @Cc81bravo and (as they say) quite a few people are having similar problems.

I'm not a pessimist, just a very well-informed optimist.

@NigelL  As advised already it's unlikely to be a satallite issue as the forum will be in meltdown, there are however severe thunder storms across the UK that could cause loss of signal to weaker channels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings/weather

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

@NigelL wrote:

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue right now (06.05.24 - 17.30) most of the satellite channels have dropped dead, bar C5, which seems a bit more than a coincidence if @Cc81bravo and (as they say) quite a few people are having similar problems.

A quick scan on my Televes H30 test meter reveals no problems with my reception.

6th May Scan.jpg

Godfrey.

This message was authored by jb1821 This message was authored by: jb1821

Having the same issues. Getting a 'no signal' message but in settings it shows signal is fine. Have been through all the troubleshooting steps and no luck

@jb1821  A No Signal messae is from your TV or do you mean No Satellite Signal?  These are 2 very different messages and 2 different issues.

Cc81bravo
Topic Author

Mine is seriously weird. It says 0 signal but I can watch without interruption for 2/3 hours. If I try to change channel it says no signal. If I flick off that channel then go back on. It plays fine 😳

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion