Discussion topic: Serious issue - Sky Q juddering with 24 Hz content

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Jong99 This message was authored by: Jong99

Re: Serious issue - Sky Q juddering with 24 Hz content

Sadly Sky Q does not change either frame rate or resolution automatically to suit content and Sky, as a traditional broadcaster, sticks to 50fps for everything.  All ouput modes/resolutions, even manually selected, are 50fps.

As others have suggested, if you want to play streamed content at the original frame rate you will need to look at using an alternate device. I can recommend Apple TV.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Winter1

Presumably you've tried turning 'Judder Reduction for TV Apps' to On, under Settings / Setup / Audio Visual? (Its sole purpose is to stop juddering on apps that show content with incompatible frame rates.)

Winter1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Winter1 This message was authored by: Winter1

@Rhonny 

Doesn't the judder reduction change the output to 60 instead of 50 frames per second - how does this work for the content that is 23.976 or 24 frames per second?

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@Winter1

Try it and see. 

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

"Presumably you've tried turning 'Judder Reduction for TV Apps' to On,"

That's a terrific post @Rhonny  👏👏

I'd forgotten about that

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

Winter1
Topic Author

@Jong99 

I think Apple TV introduces its own problems - I think it outputs Dolby Atmos in some odd Dolby MAT 2.0, rather than the normal recognised method.

Does it support 23.976 FPS?

Winter1
Topic Author

@Rhonny 

Have Sky updated the firmware recently as it definitely was an issue when I watched it a few weeks ago?

Also: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/SkyQ-Netflix-app-stutter-judder/td-p/3101907/page/2

This message was authored by Jong99 This message was authored by: Jong99

@Winter1 wrote:

@Jong99 

I think Apple TV introduces its own problems - I think it outputs Dolby Atmos in some odd Dolby MAT 2.0, rather than the normal recognised method.

I have heard of some having compatibility issues with the Apple method, but I'm not sure it is 'odd'. Just one of the many, ever changing, options that are available. You can always try it with your amp. If it works, it works. Never had any problems with my Yamaha.

Yes, the Apple TV supports 23.976. But, you've reminded me, I still don't think it supports true 24fps, so some judder is introduced to the relatively small amount of content that uses that. I'm pretty sensitive to judder and it's been a rare enough occurence not to ever bother me too much. But, maybe the new version they are rumoured to be launching will finally be perfect! We can dream, right?

@Winter1 wrote:

@Jong99 

Dolby MAT is one of the standard formats for Atmos transmission and decoding is built in to standard TrueHD decoders. It has the advantage of being a lossless format.

Apple TV does support 23.976 fps. You just need to remember, like I didn't, to set the Match Frame Rate and Match Dynamic Range options on otherwise you get judder and lose Dolby Vision.

Hey @Winter1 

So just out of interest I watched Stranger Things on Netflix just now through my Sky mini box on my Pioneer KRP500a and the picture was perfect 

No judder or anything annoying 

Thought that would be a useful troubleshooting thing to mention as it's the same model TV that you are experiencing your problem with 

573371C7-B885-412D-84C4-1DBBBFFA9DC3.jpeg

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Winter1
Topic Author

@mike+simmonds  - thank you for trying this out.

Would you mind trying S1:E1 Stranger Things at 9 min 34 sec as it pans around the room?

I also have an old Netflix App on my Oppo BDP-105 universal player and the same scene does not judder on the Pioneer KRP-500a. It only judders on the Netflix app on the Sky Q box, with or without the judder reduction enabled.

I haven't seen judder for a long time and I thought these sort of problems were long gone.......

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Sure @Winter1 

I'll hopefully do that tonight 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Hi @Winter1 

It judders - quite badly !

I don't know if you can particularly tell in this video - but live - a definite judder

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Winter1
Topic Author

Stranger Things has been shot and  posted by Netflix @ 23.976 FPS and most films are shot in this or 24 FPS.

Sky output the Netflix app at 50 or 60 (judder reduction selected), thus creates the judder.

The solution is for SKY to engineer a mode to allow for 23.976, 24, 50 or 60 FPS. i.e. all standards.

Note: My frustration with the SKY Q box is off the chart as there is an even bigger problem with the sound that I will save for a separate thread. It should take thousands of people for SKY to sort the problem out.

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@Winter1

Please tell me you don't have the Netflix app on your TV as that would make all of this moot.

Edit - just re-read and saw your TV is 12 years old... 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion