Discussion topic: Sky Q - being phased out?

This message was authored by TPick1 This message was authored by: TPick1

Sky Q - being phased out?

Went past a Sky stand while out and about at the weekend and saw a deal that was better than we are currently getting/paying. Went in, salesman looked up our account and confirmed we could get the deal. Went through a load of guff and then after a while he said that the deal was only available with Stream (which it didn't specify on the board outside). We asked why as we do not want to get rid Sky Q and he said that Sky Q was being phased out. Is this the case? Is there a plan to phase out, or is only offering the best deals on Stream Sky's way of phasing out Q? The salesman said he could never offer the same deal on Q, but surely it doesn't matter what box you are using if there is no plan to phase out Q. Cheers.

All Replies

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Re: Sky Q - being phased out?

Hi @TPick1

No one knows for sure when it will be phased out, all we know at present is SES have a contract with sky until 2028 so it won't be phased out before then. it may be extended after 2028.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TPick1 

Sky are still offering new deals for Sky Q. The life expectancy of the actual satellite is near the end of this decade. I think he was after his commission. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
TPick1
Topic Author

Thanks for the quick response and info.  So basically no reason why the same deal couldn't have been offered with our existing box then 🙂.

I've noticed Sky Q is still more expensive than stream, I guess the overheads of Q cost more as they have to pay for transponder usage on 28.2 satellite. Compared to stream as that just requires bandwidth.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@TPick1 

There's every chance the deal you saw /heard about was for new customers. If that was the case you wouldn't be eligible. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
TPick1
Topic Author

Thanks for this.  Yes, as soon as we mentioned not wanting to lose Q he lost interest.  To be honest if it had said that on the board out front we wouldn't have gone in.  Shame as would have been a £20 a month saving.

@TPick1 

In my humble opinion, Sky Q is so much better than Sky Stream, 

TPick1
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 

He looked up our account and said we were eligible.  Now realise only eligible if changing to Stream.

@TPick1 ,

Your quite right I have got an offer on my sky account, 65" Sky glass + 3 pucks + full pack is £25 quid cheaper than what I pay for Q at the minute

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TPick1 wrote:

So basically no reason why the same deal couldn't have been offered with our existing box then

It would be quite legitimate for Sky Group to choose to promote and incentivise uptake of their new technology which has a long-term future over an eight-year-old legacy platform which almost certainly doesn't have much of one left.

Also worth remembering that Q was the final 'Sky' product, and Glass/Stream is the first under Comcast ownership.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TPick1
Topic Author

@ThePope27 

Admittedly I have only read about Stream and not used it, but think the control lost would drive me crazy.  Plus, were long time Virgin customers and moved from Sky a little while ago and only just got used to the box 🙂.

Funny, asked the salesman what happens if the broadband goes and and he said basically you are screwed 🤣

@TPick1,

I was with virgin media 360 up until last month, my mom has glass and stream pucks and now I have Sky Q, I tested glass up at my moms house and it was vile. Hated it, everything was 1 click more on glass than Q which made me decide to go to Q

The only thing I miss with virgin 360 is the 4K HDR mini boxes 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TPick1 wrote:

Funny, asked the salesman what happens if the broadband goes and and he said basically you are screwed

Well, yes, but that will be universally true once 'broadcasting' ceases: unfortunately it's unlikely to be a powerful enough argument to convince private investors to pay for new orbiting one-way platforms (which are essentially a 1990s technology), or a future UK government not to take back the Digital Terrestrial Television spectrum to sell off.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TPick1
Topic Author

Yeah, can understand the new product push, and also the way the future is looking in terms of viewing habits.  I guess the forcing onto a new product through pricing is disappointing - or that is how it seems it is happening anyway.

Not a lot can be done about it I suppose.

Cheers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion