Discussion topic: Sky Q - being phased out?

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Q - being phased out?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TPick1 wrote:

Yeah, can understand the new product push, and also the way the future is looking in terms of viewing habits.  I guess the forcing onto a new product through pricing is disappointing - or that is how it seems it is happening anyway.

Not a lot can be done about it I suppose.

Cheers.

@TPick1 

I think most companies will push & discount their latest offerings.

I think you also have to bear in mind that SKY's overheads for Stream are smaller than for SKY Q not needing the engineers to install dishes etc

TPick1
Topic Author
This message was authored by TPick1 This message was authored by: TPick1

@ThePope27 

That's interesting regarding Glass/Stream.  We are going to stick with Q and accept the fact that we will pay more for our choice.

We had to move away from Virgin as we moved to an area that doesn't have their services.  I still miss a few things from their boxes.  I found with Virgin that if you set a series to record it would record the current series and any future series when they started.  With Q it seems that it records the current series and that's it, I then have to set a new series to record when it starts.

Also, on Virgin you could watch a recording and once finished you could rewind the channel that you left it on when you started watching the recording.  Admittedly that is a bit niche but it was sometimes handy 🙂.

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@TPick1,

I'll run Sky Q through till 2028, see what they offer then, I'll either move to their new satellite system or move back to virgin.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
TPick1
Topic Author

I'm basically just salty that I can't get that deal, save £20 a month and keep Q - lol.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@ThePope27 wrote:

@TPick1,

I'll run Sky Q through till 2028, see what they offer then, I'll either move to their new satellite system or move back to virgin.

@ThePope27 afraid to say there won't be a new satellite system if for some reason Sky extend their contract with SES which i doubt but would be nice) then it would continue with Q. 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

@Laing1 

Im going to stay hopeful, maybe SES will extend to 2030 as that's when the sat becomes EOL maybe SES will run it a few more years past it's EOL, it's upto the powers that be at SES and Sky 

Wonder how sky will provide tv to pubs and clubs etc.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by rg99 This message was authored by: rg99

Can't Sky Q continue on broadband only, if there are sufficient users? 

@rg99 wrote:

Can't Sky Q continue on broadband only, if there are sufficient users? 

no - SKY Q uses Satellite for live channels

Stream is the product for broadband only 

My question was sky could feed the live channels to Q over broadband if they wanted. 

@rg99 wrote:

My question was sky could feed the live channels to Q over broadband if they wanted. 

That is what SKY Stream currently uses (although some non SKY channels availble via Satellite are not yet availble)

BTW SKY Q will not be adapted to use them

OK Thanks. You've answered my question. 

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

The Q hardware itself is getting very dated now which will also be a driver to phase it out.  Given the end goal is to move away from the system towards steaming they arent going to update it.  It is already about 10 years old being designed in 2014/2015 and is showing its age (under powered, no Dolby Vision support, very legacy mesh implementation etc).  By say 2028 Q will be pushing 15 years old, Sky wont want to keep manufacturing and supporting boxes/firmware etc.  Q must be close to getting pulled as a new product, maybe this year, maybe next.  Then a slow 3 or 4 year move of all customers over to stream with offers, incentives, continual updates to they features.  The only thing i think holding them back is the lack of universally available "good" broadband as they dont want to lose customers who phsycally dont have the speeds to support stream at the moment.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ThePope27 wrote:

Wonder how sky will provide tv to pubs and clubs etc.

Presumably over business broadband, which is already essential in those premises to run payment card terminals, security systems and other online hardware.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
TPick1
Topic Author

2028 is a way off, but at the moment I'd rather stick with Q and have my recordings to watch as and when I want, rather than rely on what I want to watch only being available at the whim of whoever it is streaming from.

This message was authored by SteveOC This message was authored by: SteveOC

I have Sky+HD for just over 13 years. No later than last week I got a call from Sky asking if I wanted to upgrade toSky Q so I assume it will be around for a while yet. The call was timely though as I am having some issues with my + HD box so I would have had to upgrade anyway.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion