Discussion topic: Sky Q random frequent sound dropouts

This message was authored by HiHoSilver2000 This message was authored by: HiHoSilver2000

Sky Q random frequent sound dropouts

My sound from my Sky Q box frequently drops for a second then comes back. Sometimes it will be OK for 5 minutes other times it will drop after another second or 2.

Happens with Live TV, recorded programs and streaming (netflix & prime).

XBox and fire cube both have no issues using the same cables and HDMI port on the TV.

Also tried a different TV.  Same.

On 3rd Sky Q box. Engineer said it must be the TV, despite the fact I've tried another TV with the same results.

TV is Samsung UE50AU9000.

Help, dont know what to try next.

Best Answers
This message was authored by MFBSky This message was authored by: MFBSky Answer

Re: Sky Q random frequent sound dropouts

Same problem here with Sky Q2tb with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus settings. Read an old article (5yrs) and someone else disconnected it's Internet access completely, it worked and they changed their router.  Tried mine disconnect to watch a UHD movie download and it worked perfectly no dropouts. Have since reconnected my Sky Q box, will see if the issue returns

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark182004 This message was authored by: Mark182004

This also happens to me sky q 2tb box with power brick, audio output set to normal but also happens on Dolby digital.

power off at the mains/unplug works for short period of time before the drops come back... 

This message was authored by JT16 This message was authored by: JT16

My box has started this  nonsense the last couple of days - has there been a recent s/w update? 

it's absolutely infuriating and, a quick Google suggests that's it's a very common problem that Sky either can't or won't fix.

I've done all of the usual, reboot, reset, changed ports, leads, even the TV but no solution. 

This message was authored by Mark182004 This message was authored by: Mark182004

There is another post on here relating to the same issue does anyone no how we can link the posts together?

@HiHoSilver2000 wrote:

My sound from my Sky Q box frequently drops for a second then comes back. Sometimes it will be OK for 5 minutes other times it will drop after another second or 2.

XBox and fire cube both have no issues using the same cables and HDMI port on the TV.

On 3rd Sky Q box. Engineer said it must be the TV, despite the fact I've tried another TV with the same results.

@HiHoSilver2000 wrote:

This message was authored by MFBSky This message was authored by: MFBSky Answer

Same problem here with Sky Q2tb with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus settings. Read an old article (5yrs) and someone else disconnected it's Internet access completely, it worked and they changed their router.  Tried mine disconnect to watch a UHD movie download and it worked perfectly no dropouts. Have since reconnected my Sky Q box, will see if the issue returns

This message was authored by Mike259Tiger This message was authored by: Mike259Tiger

I too have had this problem over the past year. I have had 3 visits from Sky engineers had 3 new boxes and still the problem persisits. To be fair the engineers have really tried to solve the issue but to no avail. I have even had a new LNB and the dish realigned and software updates (x 3 ).

There must be a software issue that Sky are not admitting too because it is happening to a lot of customers!

Anyone got any advice?

HiHoSilver2000
Topic Author
This message was authored by HiHoSilver2000 This message was authored by: HiHoSilver2000

What network setup do you have?

Wifi connection straight to the sky broadband router fixed my problem. 

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Mike259Tiger 

Your post has been escalated to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the chat bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by donbidyre This message was authored by: donbidyre

Did this private chat resolve anything?

I've had this issue intermittently for years. Sky have variously denied the issue, blamed Samsung, or said they are working on it, yet the issue still persists.

This message was authored by Mike259Tiger This message was authored by: Mike259Tiger

Hello,

No the issue has not been resolved and still an ongoing issue. Just wish i could get another server but no cable services in  my area.

This message was authored by Ninja882 This message was authored by: Ninja882

I have this issue too and all the Sky engineer suggests is switching the DD Plus off!! That's not my idea of a resolution! I'll will be swapping B4ARN shortly as I've lost all faith in Sky. 

This message was authored by donbidyre This message was authored by: donbidyre

Hi @Ninja882,

From my experience, playing with the Dolby settings, will normally have no impact on this issue at all. Occasionally it will give you a temporary restbite. But as the problem is intermittent anyway, I believe that this is little more than coincidence & after a while the problem returns under your new Dolby settings, proving that the previous setting was not the issue in the first place.

On the plus side, the problem seems to occur much less often than it used to, so hopefully, it means that Sky have actually been working on it & have managed to improve things a bit (or maybe we've just been a bit lucky lately).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion