Discussion topic: Sky q mini box bt broadband

This message was authored by Jjb3 This message was authored by: Jjb3

Sky q mini box bt broadband

Changed from sky bb to bt as Wi-Fi signal was poor - now sky q mini boxes won't connect although Wi-Fi signal through the house is good - help please 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky q mini box bt broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jjb3 wrote:

Changed from sky bb to bt as Wi-Fi signal was poor - now sky q mini boxes won't connect although Wi-Fi signal through the house is good - help please 

Hi @Jjb3 

First try rebooting the main Q box and then when this is completely back up and running reboot the minis.
To reboot press Standby on your Sky Q remote (if the box responds to the remote), and then switch off and unplug at the mains.
Wait at least 30 secs and then Plug back in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
Wait for the on screen instructions to disappear and the front led to turn Amber. Then wait for 30 secs before you press Home on your Sky Q remote or if this is not working press the standby button on the front of the Q box (Amber led)

note: some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.

Reboot the minis as above.
If the minis still do not connect try a Network Reset on the minis. Start with the one nearest to the main Q box
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

If you get the first mini connected then for other minis use WPS on the nearest Q device (main Q box or previously connected mini).

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between your main Q box and the minis and you will need to contact Sky directly.

Jjb3
Topic Author

Thank you

I've tried that but still not connecting 🤦‍♀️ I've tried ether net cable to main box which then sets up its own sky network but still no joy - I've also tried changing the 2.4 mghz channel to 48 and  still nada - I've got another bt booster coming tomorrow so will try again then 

@Jjb3 wrote:

Thank you

I've tried that but still not connecting 🤦‍♀️ I've tried ether net cable to main box which then sets up its own sky network but still no joy - I've also tried changing the 2.4 mghz channel to 48 and  still nada - I've got another bt booster coming tomorrow so will try again then 

Hi @Jjb3 

Afraid mini boxes if using WiFi will not connect to 3rd party boosters.

If you want to connect mini  boxes by Ethernet on 3rd party broadband then they either need connecting to your main Q box or all Q boxes must be connected to the router by Ethernet.

This can be done either directly or through simple unmanaged Ethernet switches.  Powerline units may also be an option.

If connecting any to to the main Q box by Ethernet then it maybe necessary to switch off all WiFi on the mini.  This needs to be done after a Network reset on the mini without carrying out any WPS.
If you are using a 3rd party Mesh system you get some success by connecting all boxes to the mesh by Ethernet.

Jjb3
Topic Author

Thank you I'll try that without the Ethernet - not techy at all abd convinced this is a ploy by sky to get me to go back to their broadband where WiFi connection was also poor 😬

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Jjb3 wrote:

Thank you

The Q boxes connect to each other via 5GHz and not 2.4GHz channel.

For a non-Sky ISP then the boxes will only connect to the router on 2.4GHz.  There should be no clash here as the boxes aren't broadcasting there.

However, the default Sky 5GHz covers channels 36 to 48 on a 80MHz width.  Therefore, the BT setup should move 5GHz to at least channel 52.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

............For a non-Sky ISP then the boxes will only connect to the router on 2.4GHz.  There should be no clash here as the boxes aren't broadcasting there.

Hi @PandJ2020 

The Q box WiFi mesh broadcasts in both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.  
However as you say the main Q box will only connect to 2.4 Ghz on 3rd Party broadband.

Minis however will use bothl

Jjb3
Topic Author

So bt secind booster arrived abd fingers crossed its connecting - thank you all for your advice 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion