Discussion topic: SkyQ connecting to another wifi

This message was authored by AlexH1 This message was authored by: AlexH1

SkyQ connecting to another wifi

Wondering if anyone can help, our SkyQ box keeps constantly disconnecting from our YouFibre wifi and auto-connecting to a Sky wifi (no idea who's wifi it is, it doesn't ask for a password, just auto-connects to it) wifi is in the dining room and sky box is in living room around 15 ft away from each other. There's no way to remove the Sky wifi from the options so it just keeps happening constantly but whenever it does the TV says we have no connection and it happens every 15-20 mins so it's very irritating! 

Any suggestions? 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SkyQ connecting to another wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AlexH1 wrote:

Wondering if anyone can help, our SkyQ box keeps constantly disconnecting from our YouFibre wifi and auto-connecting to a Sky wifi (no idea who's wifi it is, it doesn't ask for a password, just auto-connects to it) wifi is in the dining room and sky box is in living room around 15 ft away from each other. There's no way to remove the Sky wifi from the options so it just keeps happening constantly but whenever it does the TV says we have no connection and it happens every 15-20 mins so it's very irritating! 

Any suggestions? 

Hi @AlexH1 

have you carried out a Network reset on your Q box..

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your non Sky  router.

As you are on 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

AlexH1
Topic Author

@oldfella yeah I do it every time it says no connection and it will connect to our wifi then automatically go back to the Sky wifi around 15 mins later 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AlexH1 wrote:

@oldfella yeah I do it every time it says no connection and it will connect to our wifi then automatically go back to the Sky wifi around 15 mins later 

Assume you are not using WPS to connect.
What makes you think it is connecting to Sky WiFi @AlexH1 

If you are looking in Settings - Status and it is showing a Sky network name this is not necessarily the Network you box is connected to.

This Sky Network name here will be the Q Box WiFi Mesh

This message was authored by John+Kennedy This message was authored by: John+Kennedy

We have a similar problem, Sky Q very frequently disconnects from our YouFire WiFi. Any suggestions would be greatly received! 

AlexH1
Topic Author

It just stopped happening for us one day and hasn't happened in a while now, I never worked out how to fix it so I'm sure it will happen again at some point haha

AlexH1
Topic Author

@John+Kennedy It just stopped happening for us one day and hasn't happened in a while now, I never worked out how to fix it so I'm sure it will happen again at some point haha

This message was authored by BazzaR This message was authored by: BazzaR

We have the same issue. Our sky q box keeps connecting to someone's sky network. We have reset this many times but it keeps disconnecting from our bt network and connects to someone's sky. Then we get the message that there is no Internet connection. 

This has only started to happen over the last 12 months. No such issues previously.

Any suggestions welcome.

This message was authored by geddy76 This message was authored by: geddy76

Mine has been doing this. It keeps disconnecting from my EE Smart Hub and connecting to next-door's Sky WiFi. I want this to stop. It has caused my neighbours problems with their Sky box not connecting to their own Sky WiFi. A Sky engineer actually had to rest my Sky Q box in order to reset, but it is happening again. It's embarrassing.

It also causes DNS issues with my EE Hub, with conflicting DNS.

I want to stop the Sky Q box from auto connecting completely.

Oh, I even wired the Sky Q Box to ethernet, but it still preferred next-door's Sky WiFi.

Crazy.

I went into the 001 settings, yesterday, and switched off the 3.2ghz option to avoid it happening again.

I bought a 4-way ethernet switcher to stick with ethernet, even though that's no guarantee.

Anyway, the switcher arrived today, and I saw that the Sky Q box decided to switch 3.2Ghz back on and connect to next-door's Sky WiFi again.  😡

Plugged into the ethernet now and switched off 3.2Ghz and 5Ghz.

But I fully expect it to ignore ethernet and self-switch the WiFi back on and connect to next-door's WiFi again.

Why did Sky make it so that these boxes automatically want to connect to any old Sky WiFi?

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

Are you sure it's your neighbours WiFi and not your Sky Box's internal mesh network?  I'm on Virgin Media broadband and my Sky box is connected via ethernet to my Virgin router, but the Sky box still shows as connected to a network with a name like "SKY0123ABC". But this is the internal "mesh" network used to link the Main and Mini boxes, and the box is actually connected to Virgin. 

Yeah, so when it's connected via wifi it display's the neighbour's sky wifi name. it's possible, in that case.

however, while it has been unplugged and using wifi, it keeps reverting to their wifi, and not sticking to my EE wifi.

I wish I could tell it to ignore that Sky wifi address. It's also disconcerting tha I manually switched off the 3.2Ghz reception, only for it to switch itself back on and jump on their wifi.

It's quite frustrating, as when it's plugg into ethernet, I really would prefer it to display the EE broadband name...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion