Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi Lisa. It was @kajay 's post that I escalated.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks, I have now invited @kajay 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by pdkitson This message was authored by: pdkitson

I know nothing about these things but for what it's worth I'll put in what seems to be working for me although it's early days yet. I had the same problem putting in the code endlessly. While everything was running I pulled out the mains cable from the back of the sky box and left it overnight then plugged it in again next morning. So far, no repeat of the problem but I don't know about the mini box as I haven't tried it. I'm not going to push my luck!

cheers,

Dave

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for chatting to us @kajay . Unfortunately, there was no further response on the chat in 48 hours, we are still waiting to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your chat has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by SeanWheatley This message was authored by: SeanWheatley

I started getting problems when I changed the WiFi passphrase on my non sky router. I fixed the issue by updating the software in all 3 boxes the main sky box and 2 mini boxes. They all match and I I had reactivated the connection between the main and mini boxes. All good now. No more WiFi setting being lost. 

@SeanWheatley wrote:

I started getting problems when I changed the WiFi passphrase on my non sky router. I fixed the issue by updating the software in all 3 boxes the main sky box and 2 mini boxes. They all match and I I had reactivated the connection between the main and mini boxes. All good now. No more WiFi setting being lost. 

Probably it was the full reset of all the boxes that the "update" (unless you know you were on an older version it was probbaly already on the latest) required which resolved it. Hopefully it stays fixed.

I have this suspicion that leaving the minis running confuses the Q when trying to get it reconnected to wifi and having just the Q on is the best way to reset the network connection. I gave up on wifi though so not able to test as I haven't had a disconnect since.

This message was authored by SeanWheatley This message was authored by: SeanWheatley

It's like the main box gets confused for sure. The 3 boxes share the WiFi information and I think unless all 3 of my boxes share the information properly the Q doesn't like it and probably gets conflicting information about what WiFi credentials to use ( the old ot the new).

It seemed that the updating and resetting of all boxes cleared the ambiguity somehow. It's fine now.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Have had the same problem for over 5 months, have had many calls with your so call tech team and done everything they have advised, resets, reboots, upgrades, changed settings. Had q box replaced with a revamp one, upgraded by internet from phone line to fibre (Utility Warehouse) and still the same problem. First time on this forum and see loads of none sky broadband users have the same problem.

Just today I called reporting the problem and about an hour after talking to one of your collegues the box dropped the internet connection whilst I was watching TV via the box?

Has now got to the stage where I am considering dumping Sky altogether ( bring with SKY 19 yrs approx) and if I do I will not pay any cancelation fees ( signed up for 18 mths cinema the other month) due to lack of service by SKY!

This message was authored by MBob64 This message was authored by: MBob64

That's exactly what we have been getting for a while now...the internet to the sky mini Q box flicks between tick and untick all the time.  Frustrating when you are in the middle of watching a programme.  I have been through so many cycles of rebooting I can't recall - and I have done the same with the sky helpline who say it needs a software update (thought that should happen down the line automatically??) so we do that and it works for a bit then stops working a few weeks later. It is rubbish for the price tbh - what are we paying for, a blue screen??  I am now out of contract so will likely dump out from Sky as completely fed up with their level of service.  I already have a separate Virgin media broadband and phone line so can extend this to TV without too much hassle.  I will be on the phone to Sky this morning once they open so they have to do a lot to retain my business!

@Anonymous wrote:

Have had the same problem for over 5 months, have had many calls with your so call tech team and done everything they have advised, resets, reboots, upgrades, changed settings. Had q box replaced with a revamp one, upgraded by internet from phone line to fibre (Utility Warehouse) and still the same problem. First time on this forum and see loads of none sky broadband users have the same problem.

Just today I called reporting the problem and about an hour after talking to one of your collegues the box dropped the internet connection whilst I was watching TV via the box?

Has now got to the stage where I am considering dumping Sky altogether ( bring with SKY 19 yrs approx) and if I do I will not pay any cancelation fees ( signed up for 18 mths cinema the other month) due to lack of service by SKY!

You tried a Sky booster? Can help stabilise it (but didn't work for me, I ended up with a different solution)

or someone else had success with a tp-link re200 as a wifi hotspot bridging to their router.

Have you got any mini boxes? Or have you had some mini boxes in the past but have since switched then off or gotten rid of them?

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Never had mini box. Just had call from Sky and then sending an engineer round with a brand new Q box, let's see what happens.

This message was authored by Giovanni1977 This message was authored by: Giovanni1977

This is happening with us. Having to reset router and main box and minis every day.  I just want to be able to watch a full programme without having to reset my box!   Network connection flickers between a cross and a tick.   This has all occurred since we got fibre from sky.   Or it has got worse since then.   Seriously fed up.  Spoke with some sky chat about it last year and they basically called me a liar.  Sent out an engineer who gave me a booster which has done absolutely nothing!  Does anyone have any solutions that actually work as I'm about to launch my remote control off the wall! 

@Giovanni1977 wrote:

This is happening with us. Having to reset router and main box and minis every day.  I just want to be able to watch a full programme without having to reset my box!   Network connection flickers between a cross and a tick.   This has all occurred since we got fibre from sky.   Or it has got worse since then.   Seriously fed up.  Spoke with some sky chat about it last year and they basically called me a liar.  Sent out an engineer who gave me a booster which has done absolutely nothing!  Does anyone have any solutions that actually work as I'm about to launch my remote control off the wall! 

Try what I put in post 7 on here and the linked suggestion on post 8 too

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-q-box-not-linking-with-Wi-Fi/m-p/4504698#M618552

This message was authored by Adam-1988 This message was authored by: Adam-1988

Mine also keeps disconnecting watching tv is supposed a relaxing activity but end up getting stressed out. Both main box and mini box do it mini box seems worse than main box but my son has no issues with his £40 Roku stick starting to get very fed up as not anything on normal tv either. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion