Discussion topic: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

This message was authored by llansawel This message was authored by: llansawel

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

I should have added hat that I have Sky "Superfast" broadband (Full fibre not available here until 2026). Anyway I now have a new morning ritual where I get up and switch the Sky Q Box on and off to restart the main box and box to box (2 minis) conections and, on occaisons, the WiFi which somtimes stays "Up" and sometimes goes "Down". After speaking to Sky again this morning I  was told that the Sky Router was too close to the Sky Q msin Box and was asked to move it to the router side of the room. Not easy, but I obliged.  🙄🙄🙄

This message was authored by Quirk0 This message was authored by: Quirk0

Re: The box keeps disconnecting to the wifi so can’t use search or any apps.I keep resetting

Thank you @chodely for the correction. Yes, 2.4, sorry I was halving 5 in my head at the time of writing.

It's good to hear people are working it out. It's been such a bugbear for me, and it's still going OK. However, my mini box upstairs was disconnecting over the weekend 🤬. All the others boxes have been OK. Typical!

Looked at the Sky engineer settings and realised the 2.4 😜 and 5GHz were still set to use. I've unchecked them so it only uses the Ethernet connection, and it's been OK since.

I'll keep you updated.

This message was authored by Jimbo09 This message was authored by: Jimbo09

I am having the same issue nearly everyday.  Changed my broadband and still this issue. It definiately is an issue with Sky.  Everything else in the house seems to stay contected.

This message was authored by skibob This message was authored by: skibob

Still having to reset the WiFi connection regularly after more than a year of almost constant issues. Getting really annoyed with the impact on streaming apps like Amazon prime, I gave up watching a film last night as buffering every couple of minutes and loss of connections. Just constant frustration.

This message was authored by davem99 This message was authored by: davem99

hi i've fixed my problem so want to share how in case it's the same issue.

my sky q box would immediately disconnect every time i reconnected it which was infuriating. i by accident realised i had a mini box in a room i don't use and it's connected to the main box via a sky extender box as it's quite a distance. now the extender box was without power due to part of the (very old ) property being without power due to a fault. it occurred to be that may be an issue , so i unplugged the unused mini box and hey presto! it now works .

i assume the mini box was continuously trying to connect and this was causing an issue. 

This message was authored by llansawel This message was authored by: llansawel

Having moved the router across to the other side of the room away from the Sky Q box, the problem has disappeared. 🤔🤔🤔

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Wifi can get nasty intereference if transceivers are too close together

This message was authored by pfoley This message was authored by: pfoley

I have gotten a workaround going, Created a seperate guest network on the router and not allowed the devices to talk to each other for one of our broadband customers.

This seems to be stable for now.

This message was authored by JB19801 This message was authored by: JB19801

I'm struggling with this problem. The main sky q box has started connecting and disconnecting from the network which means we can't watch any apps. My mini box upstairs has also started disconnecting and I am having to turn it off at the wall and reset EVERY DAY. 
I thought it was the abysmal broadband, but am able to watch Netflix and iPlayer etc through the smart tv rather than sky and they work fine, so it is definitely the sky boxes.

how can I sort this before I lose my mind? Unable to plug into Ethernet before this is mentioned due to location of router 

update. i've had the engineers out and the problem was this:

the sky boxes communicate to each other at 5ghz whereas (because my router is bt) the sky box communicates with it at 2.4 ghz. for some reason (i think my power cut) sky resorted to trying to communicate to the router at 5ghz.

the solution was change the settings back to 2.4ghz

Did you see where/how they changed this?

The Q box doesn't have a setting for what frequency band to try to connect to the internet. It just should know what to use (the fact it only uses 2.4 for non-Sky routers is ridiculous but that's a different topic)

unfortunately i didn't, but they got to the option really quick snd somewhere under settings 

go to settings but don't press it, press 001 and then the dot button. then go to network . it can be changed there 

I just get the option to turn 2.4 and / or 5 on or off completely, not specify which to use for the internet connection?

Maybe the box had somehow turned 2.4 off so it couldn't use it at all?

This message was authored by Bob73 This message was authored by: Bob73

Ive just switched to sky ultrafast 500+ , im getting this, i thought i was going mad, with three and ee broadband it was fine, perfect.

Tried resetting the conneciton, a full factory reset on my Q box.

Ive tired wireless and lan connection, still does it, its a sky broadband problem, any fixes ??? lol

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion