Discussion topic: sky multiroom

This message was authored by Chris_G This message was authored by: Chris_G

sky multiroom

For a number of years I have had sky multiroom with a sky+ box in both the bedroom and living room. I have spoken to Sky regarding changing to Sky Q but they will only offer Sky Q in one room and a Sky minibox in the other. My wife likes to watch and record her programmes in the bedroom while I watch and record programmes in the living room. Sky aren't offering the option of a Sky Q box in each room so that we can record independently, as is the case with our existing Sky+ setup.

Is there a reason why Sky can't let us have 2 Sky Q boxes, one for each room?

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: sky multiroom

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris_G 

It's one main Sky Q box per address.

You can have a maximum of 4 mini boxes loaned to you by Sky. You can watch Sky content on two minis and the main box at the same time. You may be able to use a third mini box if the first one in use is being used for a streaming app ie: Netflix or DIsney+.

Be aware the original 1TB (non-UHD) Sky Q box only allows one mini to be in use. To check if you have the non UHD 1TB box check in:-
Home - Settings - System Info - Hardware Version
If it shows as 32Cxxx then you have a non UHD 1TB that only supports 1 active mini box.

All 2TBs and the UHD/HDR 1TB permit two mini boxes. Each mini box which is loaned to you may be subject to a one off upfront charge but you only need one Sky Q monthly Multiscreen subscription.

All recordings are made onto the hard drive of the main box and remain accessible to all boxes except UHD which is only available on the main box. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris_G wrote:

For a number of years I have had sky multiroom with a sky+ box in both the bedroom and living room. I have spoken to Sky regarding changing to Sky Q but they will only offer Sky Q in one room and a Sky minibox in the other. My wife likes to watch and record her programmes in the bedroom while I watch and record programmes in the living room. Sky aren't offering the option of a Sky Q box in each room so that we can record independently, as is the case with our existing Sky+ setup.

Is there a reason why Sky can't let us have 2 Sky Q boxes, one for each room?

hi @Chris_G 

Basically SKY Q was just not designed that way

BTW You may wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q (although you have may have already them - which do mention the multiroom change) 

SKY +/HD to SKY Q

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman

Sky only allow 1 main box on Q. Whether it matches your wants or not, all recordings are done on the main box and then shared out to the mini boxes.

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

@Chris_G  Sky Q doesnt work the same way.  Think of the main box as the "server" it does all the work and has the hard drive in it.  The Mini links back to the main box for everything.  It would all work fine for you and you can record 6 things at once and watch them one either box the one difference being is your recordings will all be together in one list, there is no way around that.  I get the impression from your post you like having your recordings on "your box" and your wife with hers on "her box".  Q just doesnt do this.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion