Discussion topic: How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

This message was authored by NeilFa This message was authored by: NeilFa

How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

At the moment, everytime I watch an episode of Warrior, the box asks for the 4 digit pin.

However, our children are grown up now, and I've done everything I can to turn off/disable family related option (in settings), and disable the pin, yet, there the box is asking for it... I've checked over and over and it all seems turned off/disabled. What am I missing?

How do I tell the box we're adults and don't need to enter a code?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: How do I stop the Sky HD+ box asking for the pin to watch a program?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Ofcom prevents sky from disabling all PIN requests 😠

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

If you downloaded this episode then no matter what settings you have changed you will get asked for a pin as the pin itself can not be turned off on downloads like this that will have an age rating on it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
NeilFa
Topic Author

Sigh! Poor UI design then!

If there's a reason why the PIN is being asked for, contrary to every setting the user has carefully set to turn the PIN off, then SAY WHY!

ie: When the PIN is asked for, a sentence under it should explain that it's a requirement of OFCOM to ask for it. Done!

I've worked in software design for 30+ years, and it still bemuses me how needlessly poor some UI design is.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NeilFa wrote:

If there's a reason why the PIN is being asked for, contrary to every setting the user has carefully set to turn the PIN off, then SAY WHY!

Interestingly, Ofcom agree with you:  the relevant section of the current Broadcasting Code (01/01/19)  reads

1.24 Provided that mandatory daytime protection is in place pre-2100 and post-0530(or pre-2000 and post 0530 for up to BBFC 15-rated films or their equivalent on premium subscription film services), programmes that are unsuitable for children that would usually be scheduled after the watershed, and films up to BBFC 18-rated or equivalent, may be broadcast on television at any time of day. Clear information must be provided with programme and film content that will assist adults to assess its suitability for children, and the mandatory daytime protection which is in place must be clearly explained to all viewers.

Mandatory daytime protection means there is a PIN protection system in place pre-2100 and post-0530 which cannot be removed by the user and restricts access solely to those authorised to view.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
NeilFa
Topic Author

Great minds and all... 🙂

I must have spent nearly an hour over two or three attempts trying to turn PIN request(s) off. All the while had a single sentence below the PIN request simply explain why it was being asked, and explained it was a mandatory OFCOM request... Done!

The Business Analyst responsible for that process (area of the UI) needs a smack on their bottom!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NeilFa 

I tend to agree.  It hasn't been helped by Atlantic, Documentaries and Comedy starting to broadcast 'post-watershed' content during the day, which means a PIN is required simply to browse through the channels....

NeilFa
Topic Author

"means a PIN is required simply to scroll through the channel list" - Do what?

I've never come across a PIN being requested while simply browing the program guide/listings?

@NeilFa 

To view channels by using the up-down remote rocker: three channels in the broadcast list are now behind PIN, which is new behaviour.  They can be skipped, but not viewed without PIN input.  The only explanation Sky put up was here: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/News/New-Daytime-PIN-for-Sky-Channels/ba-p/3432288 

This message was authored by roninaberdeen This message was authored by: roninaberdeen

Sky are totally useless in this day and age surely they can get a change in the programme to say I don't want pin codes 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@roninaberdeen wrote:

Sky are totally useless in this day and age surely they can get a change in the programme to say I don't want pin codes 

It's not up to Sky. Where a PIN is required it's mandated by OFCOM. You could make your views known to them.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@roninaberdeen  No they can't they are legally bound by government/regulater legalisation to pin protection programs of certain ratings before the watershed 

the only way this will change (which it's unlikely will) is if government change the law

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
NeilFa
Topic Author

Blame the continued nannyfication of the country... ie: Virtue signally feelies over facts...

There's no reason a PIN couldn't be mandatory by default, but if the adults in the house decide to turn it off, fine... Why isn't that OK with OFCOM?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@NeilFa wrote:

Why isn't that OK with OFCOM?

As stated above, why not contact them as nobody here can answer for them can we ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@NeilFa  Again the current law doesn't allow it

raise your concern with ofcom 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion