Discussion topic: Sky mobile scam

This message was authored by SimonStone This message was authored by: SimonStone

Sky mobile scam

Recently my sky mobile bill included a charge to USA for £82 for a call I did not make. 

As well as Sky mobile for two people, I have all sky packages and I am a "diamond" member. However Ido not feel like a valuable or valued customer. My daughter and ex partner also have sky (for now) 

It looks like the charge was via some clever scam involving clicking a fb link on an iPhone. 

I telephoned sky. As soon as I mentioned a possible scam I was told that whatever it is sky is not responsible. Imagine if our banks acted this way. I persisted. I pointed out I had yet to explain the circumstances and what if any duty of care sky might have and importantly what an we do to prevent further such scams. My view was and is that sky need to have procedures to identify and prevent scams and to possibly reinburse customers who are charged by sky even when it is clear they did not use their service. 

The reason I am sharing this is because Sky told me that if I raised a complaint not only would they immediately close it(this is before any actual complaint was made) but also they would bar it meaning they would not engage any further in the matter. To be honest I am quite shocked by that response. 

I will be taking matters further. I am writing to my MP, probably take sky to the small claims court, and take the case to the Ombudsman but I don't suppose Sky care even though this may lead to the loss of three customers, two of many years standing. 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky mobile scam

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SimonStone 

You can if course seek whatever redress you wish, but I'd observe that the ability to trigger an outbound phonecall from Facebook is a feature which Meta themselves enable along with the operating system of the mobile itself, and if the default permissions allow this then the cellular network carrier almost certainly isn't in a position to intervene.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/business/tools/call-ads 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Your expectations are unrealistic I'm afraid. Even banks don't reimburse customers in all cases.. You're responsible for the consequences of what you do online. Have you reported it to Action Fraud?

SimonStone
Topic Author
This message was authored by SimonStone This message was authored by: SimonStone

You will not be surprised if I disagree. Banks will reimburse when you were unknowingly subject to fraud. They won't when you took risks or did not take reasonable precautions. Indeed banks stop you transferring money even when you wish to if fraud is suspected. Sky it seems do nothing to prevent scams nothing to prevent further scams when one is reported and do not even listen to the complaint let alone reimburse. Which ever way this is viewed I have been charged without receiving a service. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@SimonStone wrote:

Sky it seems do nothing to prevent scams nothing to prevent further scams 

@SimonStone 

See this advice that's on their website re scams

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-scams-help

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@SimonStone wrote:

. Sky it seems do nothing to prevent scams nothing to prevent further scams when one is reported and do not even listen to the complaint let alone reimburse.

As already noted the carrier has connected a call that was requested by the device.  It's difficult to identify whether the call was from a fraudulent access to the device or a genuine call made by the user.  (Indeed the carrier may not be able to differentiate unless the destination number is a known 'scam' number but they tend to be a moving target)

I'm failing to see a cause of action against the carrier but the user can take certain precautions to reduce the chances of a charge - the spend cap should be set low to at least mitigate the charges.

The carrier has incurred charges themselves in connecting the call so any refund would be a gesture of goodwill but it seems they aren't going to consider it this time.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
SimonStone
Topic Author

It amazes me how people can defend the carrier. 

it looks like we were squeezed between two corporations. Meta on fb "sell" the facility to link their links automatically to people's mobile numbers. That can be used to generate calls. And neither they or the carrier takes any responsibility. 

People should be able to access services without being scammed. 

AI is going to make this much much worse. One day when you find your bank account emptied ( obviously one hopes it will never happen) will you say it's your own fault?  I think not. 

SimonStone
Topic Author

Thanks but it was nit that type of scam. 

it was a Facebook link to a genuine webinar. But the link was somehow connected to a scam number in the USA. 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@SimonStone No one is defending the carrier they are just pointing out that it isn't the carriers fault, if you have willingly joined what was supposed to be a legitimate webinar then you need to take up the matter with the host of the webinar, it is they who posted the link and they are responsible for the legitmacy of that link and the safety of those using it.

Neither Sky or Facebook/Meta have any responsibility for costs incured.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

• @SimonStone wrote:

It amazes me how people can defend the carrier. 

it looks like we were squeezed between two corporations. Meta on fb "sell" the facility to link their links automatically to people's mobile numbers. That can be used to generate calls. And neither they or the carrier takes any responsibility. 

I'm not defending the carrier - I'm just not in receipt of enough facts to establish whether their has been an actionable duty of care.

It may seem like a 'scam' to you but that doesn't mean there is a cause of action or negligence.

You'll obviously disagree but I would exhaust any internal complaints procedure first.  Ensure your spend cap is set appropriately as a breach of this would be a different kettle of fish.

SimonStone
Topic Author

The webinar provider will have no knowledge of this. It is a piggyback operation. 

I have been charged for data I have not used. Only the carrier knows how it is routed ad to who. There shoujd be mechanisms for tracing and recovery. I am a victim but have no mechanisms to investigate how this fraud was perpetrated apart from guessing. 

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@SimonStone wrote:

The webinar provider will have no knowledge of this. It is a piggyback operation. 

@SimonStone The link you clicked on to access the webinar is 100% the responsibility of the webinar host, if their link has been compromised they are at fault and its they who you should be contacting to address the issue, i take it from your statement you haven't done that?

It feels completely pointless going forward with this conversation as for some reason you seem dead set on blaming companies who have zero involvement and cannot possibly be held responsible.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
SimonStone
Topic Author

I have contacted :

Sky

meta

Webinar host

Sky community 

no one is interested in either taking responsibility or preventing future threats. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@SimonStone wrote:

I have contacted :

Sky

meta

Webinar host

Sky community

no one is interested in either taking responsibility or preventing future threats. 

@SimonStone 

Not sure how we, as customers like you, are required to take any responsibility for this. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

I'm not even sure if it was a 'compromised' link or simply a consequence of a genuine link and connection.  (And device/account settings etc)

If it was malicious then one option is to report it to the authorities to investigate - or at least put on their radar.  In the past I have managed to get the Police engaged in a link scam but even they admitted it's difficult especially when cross-border.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion