Discussion topic: £42.25 for 12mbps

This message was authored by Chris+Bennett69 This message was authored by: Chris+Bennett69

£42.25 for 12mbps

I live in a city centre apartment that unfortunately doesn’t have fibre cabling and nor does it appear there are any plans to have it installed.

I have been with Sky now for over 2 years and the internet which is 12mbps has always been very poor.  I was just about able to stream films etc but would occasionally have issues, I had to stop playing games online as it simply wouldn’t support it.

I have recently had a housemate move in who doesn’t game but likes to watch things on his laptop, quite simply we are unable to stream at the same time.  Its impossible the last week we have quite literally had to take it in turns. We do not even connect our phones to the wifi in the house.

I have been paying £38.25 and just seen an e-mail stating that would be increasing by £4.00  ( £42.25 per month for 12mbps ) so in essence paying £3.52 per MB.  How can Sky justify charging over £40.00 for an internet speed that was deemed poor 10 years ago.

I am looking into Starlink at the moment as a possible replacement due to the fact cabling isn’t going to be installed into the building, but if I was paying £15.00 per month for such poor internet I wouldn’t be grumbling.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: £42.25 for 12mbps

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris+Bennett69 wrote:

I have been paying £38.25 and just seen an e-mail stating that would be increasing by £4.00  ( £42.25 per month for 12mbps ) so in essence paying £3.52 per MB.  How can Sky justify charging over £40.00 for an internet speed that was deemed poor 10 years ago.

ISPs can't price per Mbs: each Openreach/BT Wholesale speed band ('up to' 24Mbs ADSL2+, FTTC 40/10, FTTC 80/20 and then the Ultrafast services at 100, 150, 500 and gigabit) has a fixed cost of supply to an ISP on the Openreach network.

If you are unlucky enough to be in a location with only ADSL or poor FTTC then there can't be any improvement in speed until either the national Openreach full-fibre rollout reaches you or an altnet invests in the area.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chris+Bennett69 wrote:

if I was paying £15.00 per month for such poor internet I wouldn’t be grumbling.

Any ISP purchasing wholesale service in the UK would be losing money at that rate, even before their own business cost (and preferably, from their point of view, a profit margin) was added.

@Chris+Bennett69 wrote:

I have been paying £38.25 and just seen an e-mail stating that would be increasing by £4.00 

I'd observe that's out-of-contract pricing, so a better deal should be available either by negotiation, re-entering a minimum term, or switching ISP: you won't (and can't) get better speed from the same technology though.

Chris+Bennett69
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chris+Bennett69 This message was authored by: Chris+Bennett69

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, i appreciate it. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Chris+Bennett69 

Might be worth looking to getting a 3rd party router with QoS then giving yourself and your roommate a 50/50 share. It may just allow you to stream SD or low bitrate HD content simultaneously if you are getting 12mbps. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion