Discussion topic: Wanting to join Sky Broadband. I don't have a phone line connected to my house though.

This message was authored by HelenFoster15 This message was authored by: HelenFoster15

Wanting to join Sky Broadband. I don't have a phone line connected to my house though.

Hi I'm currently with Virgin and paying a ridiculous amount for a poor service. I am wanting to move to sky and take out ultrafast which it says is available at my address. Do I need to have BT connected to my house though? Is there any charge to set it up as I know there use to be. I'm a new customer not had Sky before.  Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Wanting to join Sky Broadband. I don't have a phone line connected to my house though.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HelenFoster15 

Virgin use their own infrastructure so just because you can get high speeds from them it does not mean the same will be avaliable from other providers. Its possible that Openreach have not yet upgraded your area for FTTP.

If you go to this site and use the 'address checker' then post the resulting table back here we can let you know what kind of service you can get. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
HelenFoster15
Topic Author
This message was authored by HelenFoster15 This message was authored by: HelenFoster15

Re: Wanting to join Sky Broadband. I don't have a phone line connected to my house though.

That's not really answering my question. I want to know if I need a phone line connected to my house/BT/Open reach to be able to get sky broadband and if so if there is a charge to set that up?

I will definitely be leaving Virgin and when I checked if I can get ultrafast/fibre at my address it says I can sort that's not an issue

HelenFoster15
Topic Author

1000057565.jpg

@HelenFoster15 

So FTTP is avaliable and the table you posted states its an overhead feed with no anticipated issues.

In answer to your question, yes you need an Openreach line fitted before Sky can supply you. This cable will come in overhead from the pole nearest your house, then it will be drilled into a wall with an Openreach ONT mounted to your interior wall. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
HelenFoster15
Topic Author

How do I arrange that? Do I have to pay or is that covered in Sky setup costs?

@HelenFoster15 

Sky will arrange it for you. Once you place the Ultrafast order with Sky they will action Openreach to come and install the line to your property before the activation. There is no cost to you its all included in your monthly subscription cost.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
HelenFoster15
Topic Author

Thanks so much for all your help

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@jamesn123 wrote:

@HelenFoster15 

There is no cost to you its all included in your monthly subscription cost.

Strictly speaking only about £100 spent by Openreach is passed directly to the ISP: the rest of the capital investment is covered by Openreach themselves as part of their long-term upgrade of the national data network, from which they expect to be earning ISP rental and support fees for the rest of the century.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion