Discussion topic: Disable 2.4ghz on my router

This message was authored by Dougal321 This message was authored by: Dougal321

Disable 2.4ghz on my router

I have to option to choose 2.4 or 5ghz on all my devices but my sky tv box keeps defaulting to 2.4 instead of 5ghz. How can I temporarily disable 2.4 so I can connect the sky Q and mini Q to 5ghz?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Disable 2.4ghz on my router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dougal321 if you have any router other than a Sky hub the main Q box will only connect to the  2.4GHz band as it uses the 5GHz band to communicate with any Sky Q minis which cannot connectvto third party wifi.

With a Sky hub just let Q boxes do their thing as they work with the hub to optimise connectivity using both bands. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Dougal321
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dougal321 This message was authored by: Dougal321

thanks so much! You explained that so well

Only issue is that the speed with 5ghz is really high and low with 2.4 and we can't play any movies on our fire stick 

I assumed it was the box but I'll research the stick now also 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dougal321 Firesticks can be a pain as they can have issues getting enough wifi signal behind a TV. You can get HDMI extender cables so theyvare notvso hidden. Worth running the Network test in the Get Help menu in the Netflix app on both the stick and the Q box as thst will give a guide where the issue is.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion