Discussion topic: FTTP broadband speed check

This message was authored by PACman63 This message was authored by: PACman63

FTTP broadband speed check

Is it possible to run a speed test on the FTTP broadband that gives the specific ping rate and upload and download Mbps, rather than being told that it is 'good'?

I can then compare it to independent speed tests.

I don't want to pay for 900Mbps when I am not getting it.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: FTTP broadband speed check

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PACman63I run 3 independent speed tests on my own connection here running them on Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi to give me a more true picture of the speed that I am getting.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

@PACman63I run 3 independent speed tests on my own connection here running them on Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi to give me a more true picture of the speed that I am getting.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by LozDudek This message was authored by: LozDudek

Currently getting 0.6mbps download speed. Signal terrible for weeks and now two at home who cannot work! Yet the network says no issues 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@LozDudek if that is measured on a device connected by ethernet you should report it to Sky pronto however if on a device connected by wifi its probable you are measuring the wifi speeds in your home which is a somewhat different issue.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by LozDudek This message was authored by: LozDudek

What can be cause of dropped wifi connection then? All our devices are wirelessly connected, so this is the key speed. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: FTTP broadband speed chec

@LozDudek if you post your hub's stats we should be able to tell you more but slow wifi is a very common issue in many homes due to the layout, type of construction and level of interference. For example metal blocks wifi signals so having a radiator between where the hub is and the device means it has to rely on rdflected signals or having solid internal walls will greatly reduce signal strength.

See Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@LozDudek 

WiFi is inherently a dynamic environment, susceptible to changes both within the subscription address and those buildings neighbouring it (radio waves not being noted for their ability to recognise property boundaries)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@LozDudek wrote:

What can be cause of dropped wifi connection then? All our devices are wirelessly connected, so this is the key speed. 

If you want to measure the actual WiFi transmission speed in real time between the router and a wireless device, download an app called "wifi sweetspots". If you run this while moving around in your property it will show the live connection speed between the device and the router. This is not a measure of your broadband connection, it is a display of the WiFi connection between the device in it's local enviroment with it's access point it's connected too.

It might surprise you at just how unstable it is, and this is what WiFi is like, it is determined by physics. No ISP can control it. This is what we mean when we say WiFi is inherently unstable, and is why you get things like high latency, ping, jitter etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by Madhatter This message was authored by: Madhatter

@PACman63 wrote:

Is it possible to run a speed test on the FTTP broadband that gives the specific ping rate and upload and download Mbps, rather than being told that it is 'good'?

I can then compare it to independent speed tests.

I don't want to pay for 900Mbps when I am not getting it.

If your DIY competent, you could run Ethernet cables to where your WFH and use wired. If you run as I have outside of the house no major upheaval involved, you can also put a switch at the end to connect more devices.

You could also look at the MESH setup of the ASUS routers for better WiFi 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion