Discussion topic: Gigafast less than 100mb

This message was authored by steviejandbeckyb This message was authored by: steviejandbeckyb

Gigafast less than 100mb

Recently (within the past month) changed from my 500mb Internet to Gogafast and my god its been the worst decision I've ever done (sofar). I used to get a consistent 500mb previously, but now on Giga I'm luck to get 100mb! I'm paying for a 'better' speed and would have been better off not 'upgrading'.

Nothing has changed with our hardware or usage, please can you advise or offer any assistance?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Gigafast less than 100mb

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@steviejandbeckyb how are you measuring speeds? The only reliable way is using a single device connected by ethernet to the hub. Wifi speeds are unreliable as so many external factors are involved including interference from neighbours networks.

There is some evidence of some Sky Ultragast customers not getting the throughput they are paying for so please confirm your testing me thod.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
steviejandbeckyb
Topic Author
This message was authored by steviejandbeckyb This message was authored by: steviejandbeckyb

I was plugged jn via CAT5 cable into the hub and laptop, measuring via fast.com

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@steviejandbeckyb 

With fast.com on Ultrafast plus (500Mbps) I get spurious results giving an average over 10 tests of 585Mbps.

Using this - SamKnows Speed Test (broadbandperformance.co.uk)  I consistently get 520Mbps.

The answers I have received previously appear not to stack up with what others are finding.

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 23 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Phill1979 This message was authored by: Phill1979

I'm getting the same, been a Sky customer since July and never get above 100mbs

Laptop on Wifi

Mobile on Wifi

PC on CAT 6

Xbox on CAT 6

used fast.com and speedtest.com

restarted all network kit.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Phill1979 

Worth checking the Hub is set to gigabit rather than 'fast ethernet' (100baseT) and that any ethernet switching upstream is also gigabit.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Phill1979 This message was authored by: Phill1979

All settings are right, looks like the fibre cable going into the ONT needed re-seating and changed the LAN cable now getting better speeds

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion