Discussion topic: Replace router function of Sky Hub with ASUS RT-AX57

This message was authored by Purpleivan This message was authored by: Purpleivan

Replace router function of Sky Hub with ASUS RT-AX57

I'm moving in the next few weeks to an area served by Sky broadband and plan on signing up for the 500MB Ultrafast Plus plan.

However I'm likely to want to replace the router functions of the Sky Hub with my own router. Currently I have a TP-Link AX3000 router, which I believe is incompatible with Sky Broadband, so I'm thinking of replacing this with an ASUS RT-AX57.

To be clear, what I mean regarding replacing the router functions of the Sky Hub, is that I would want my own router to handle DHCP and port forwarding etc.

Can any one tell me if the ASUS RT-AX57 is known to be compatible with the Sky Hub?

As an extra question, my understanding is that the Sky Hub is an AC, rather than AX level device, hence my plan to use my own router, so can someone confirm that is correct?

Best Answers
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1 Answer

Re: Replace router function of Sky Hub with ASUS RT-AX57

@Purpleivan The Asus router range is easily the least problematic to operate on the sky connected broadband but does require some setting which is well documented on this forum.

The New sky max hub is AX compatible but with some current teething problems, and also backward compatible with previous standards.

As long as you client devices have AX standard then they should operate with that functionality on either of the Routers, but it is also a minefield when things dont work. Hope it answers your questions, and as always, Ethernet is the best.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1 Answer

@Purpleivan The Asus router range is easily the least problematic to operate on the sky connected broadband but does require some setting which is well documented on this forum.

The New sky max hub is AX compatible but with some current teething problems, and also backward compatible with previous standards.

As long as you client devices have AX standard then they should operate with that functionality on either of the Routers, but it is also a minefield when things dont work. Hope it answers your questions, and as always, Ethernet is the best.

Purpleivan
Topic Author
This message was authored by Purpleivan This message was authored by: Purpleivan

Thanks for the confirmation @JimM1 regarding rhe Asus routers and that the Sky Hub is AX and not AC.

Understood regarding the need for some setup being requried for operating an Asus router with a Hub, I've seen some comments regarding that here and I'll check the forum for info on that when the time comes.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Purpleivan It is only the new white hub SKY MAX that is AX, you will recieve a hub no matter what and it always belongs to sky, and sky range of hubs are all they will/do support. Make sure to try which ever one you get, then once working keep aside if you have any issue's for future testing etc.

Good luck with your new fttp broadband and hopefully zero installation problems.

Purpleivan
Topic Author

Thanks for the extra info.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Purpleivan if your new address has an Openreach full fibre connection then the Asus router can be connected directly to the Openreach ONT unit rather than behind the standard SR203 Sky hub  That unit does offer wifi5 (ac) which is fast enough to fully use the 500Mb/s Ultrafast + provides (it tops out around 600Mb/s) of course speeds drop the further you go from the hub especially on other floors. Whether the Asus unit on irs own has greater range is not certain it depends on the layout and construction of your home.. . 

If you dont use the Sky hub you lose the sky voice line service. You can connect a second router behind a Sky hub in a double NAT config which works for modt apps or you can simply turn off the Sky sifi and use a wifi mesh system running in access point mode. In practice before spending money check what speeds you need at devices as in practice very few applications can use much more than 100Mb/s. 

You are correct that TP-Link routers are difficult to directly connect to Sky lines but it is worth trying as some users have reported success using the DHCPv6 PD method it depends on the kit in the exchange whether thst works or not.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Purpleivan
Topic Author

Thanks for the extra advice @Chrisee. As there should be an Openreach full fibre connection at the house I'll be moving to, that's good to know.

Although AC will be fast enough to handle internet traffic, I'll want the extra speed of AX for some local network activity.

Looks like I have a range of options to try, which is nice.

This message was authored by wizzbizz This message was authored by: wizzbizz

Hi

was curious to know how you got on? I am going to replace my router with an Asus one any teething problems? 

Purpleivan
Topic Author

As I've been pretty busy since moving into my house, I've not got round to looking into replacing the router functions of the Sky hub with another router.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion