Discussion topic: Sky Q Hub WiFi and Ethernet low speed 0.5 Mbps

This message was authored by GrahamDp This message was authored by: GrahamDp

Sky Q Hub WiFi and Ethernet low speed 0.5 Mbps

Broadband speed check low 0.5 Mbps.  Open Reach engineer checke speed to Hub was 10 Mbps.

Speed at multiple single devices always ~0.5 Mbps both WiFi and Ethernet connection.

Has Hub failed?

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Sky Q Hub WiFi and Ethernet low speed 0.5 Mbps

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GrahamDp  What are the speeds that you are supposed to get on your connection with Sky. What is it that you signed up to?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
GrahamDp
Topic Author

ontract says Guaranteed Minimum Re: Sky Q Hub WiFi and Ethernet low speed 0.5 Mbps

Contarct states Guaranteed Minimum download speed 4.7 Mbps  expects line can support 6.2 to 12.1 Mbps.  as I stated engineer measured 10 mbps going into Hub

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: ontract says Guaranteed Minimum Re: Sky Q Hub WiFi and Ethernet low speed 0.5 Mbps

@GrahamDp Could you please post your router stats following the link below.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#M101...

GrahamDp
Topic Author

Afraid these don't mean much to me!

Router stats.png

This message was authored by Fallon1874 This message was authored by: Fallon1874

How many devices do you have connected to your hub?

Roni
GrahamDp
Topic Author

Dingle devicce (various)  plus Sky Q box.

It's not a capacity issue as things were working fine until this morning.

@GrahamDp  Router stats are showing 12 mb/s to the hub. I see that everything runs via Wi-Fi. Is there any downloading of on demand going on with any of your devices?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@GrahamDp you are on an extremly long line to the cabinet so 12Mb/s is the total bandwidth which after accounting for overheads would give you a tad over 10Mb/s usable to share  between all of your devices. When you took those stats roughly half of that bandwidth was being used which is not unlikely as modern device operating systems are designed to download updates and run housekeeping in the background or while not in use. If as in most households you have say half a dozen devices or more connected it is quite likely that is where your bandwidth is going. 

This activity is sensible shere you have a decent connection but can be a nuisance on a slow connection like yours. You can try turning off background activity by going into each devices settings or disconnect them when not in active use. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
GrahamDp
Topic Author

Hi,

Only me in the house.  The stats are for one device running the broadband test and my Sky Q box in standby.  The installation has been running with about 6 +- 2 Mbps without issues for long time.

Yesterday morning the laptop I use could not connect to the internet (bluetooth) via the router until the router had been Reset.  I had not made any changes to the system before this.

Is it possible the Router is limiting Download speed both via Bluetooth and Ethernet connection to my devices?

Think I eed another Router to substitute to check.  Can sky send one?

Thanks for all help so far.

GrahamDp
Topic Author

Don't believe this!  Started laptop this morning, sent above message and decided to check speed.

Ping 27ms, Download 6.68 Mbps, Upload 1.79 Mnps.

No idea what's happened overnight.  Perhaps Sky have been at work.

Fingers crossed it's stays a permanent situation.

Thank God!

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@GrahamDp 

From your stat's it would appear that you have NOTHING connected on the ethernet port of

the router, you are only using the wireless connection's on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

The router has absolutely NO bluetooth ability whatsoever.....

Sometimes thinks lockup and you maybe correct that the reset cleared everything, if it happens

again, look at the 3 led's status of your router. Try 1st to just reset your laptop and try to eliminate

device, maybe check on your mobile etc to see if it has connection to the internet.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion