Discussion topic: Sky "Superfast" Broadband is Super slow

This message was authored by Leland0404 This message was authored by: Leland0404

Sky "Superfast" Broadband is Super slow

Ever since I renewed my contract last year [2021] I have noticed the rapid decline in my broadband speed, When I first subscribed to "superfast" some years ago I was getting between 27Mbps and 32 Mbps with a rock-solid connection, Now I am barely able to get 7Mpbs, I cannot watch Netflix or Youtube videos as they constantly buffer every few seconds [Even a 5 minute Youtube video will buffer every second or so]

I have tried calling Sky but the endless phone menus and never-ending hold times make it impossible to speak to a human.

Before anyone asks, I have plugged a laptop directly into the back of the Sky hub with nothing else attached, and all WiFi connections turned off and I did a speed test and I had 4.7Mpbs which is absolutely dire compared to what I used to get.

Is there anything I can do ?

Please help as I wanted superfast primarily for my sons Xbox live but it is no use whatsoever

Thanks

Best Answers
Leland0404
Topic Author
This message was authored by Leland0404 This message was authored by: Leland0404 Answer

Re: Sky "Superfast" Broadband is Super slow

Well my issues now seem to be resolved, called sky again last week and this time they sent an openreach engineer out (Tuesday 3rd)

he told me I was getting 26mbps

i tried explaining to him that it was an unusual problem and that I had never seen anything like it before and it may be 26 at the socket but no device inside gets anywhere near that, to which his reply was that I must have too many devices connected at once 

so (to try and prove to me he was right and I was wrong) he reset the hub (so Wi-Fi password defaults back to original, I always change it to one I can remember easier),  pulled the cables out so anything inside is now disconnected, he then ran a test from his own little gadget he had, and Lo and behold it maxed at 5.8MPBS

The look of disbelief on his face was a picture and I just said Now do you see what I have been trying to say!!, after a few minutes of silence he admitted something wasn't right and he would go to the cabinet (which is roughly 5 minutes walk from me) and do a check, he said the line would go off for about 20 minutes

The line did go off for about 20 minutes and when it came back on I did a test and finally it peaked at 32mbps!!

i can now also watch a YouTube video on two devices at the same time whereas before I couldn't (one would always buffer continuously)

Sky also claim there is no fibre in my area, but I have had it from the horses mouth that it is indeed in my area, but sky won't offer it to anyone as they are too cheap,

I just have to wait until sky stops dragging it's heals and lying so I can get an upgrade

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Leland0404  Please post your router stats so the forum can advise https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Leland0404
Topic Author
This message was authored by Leland0404 This message was authored by: Leland0404

gets worse,Re: Sky "Superfast" Broadband is Super slow

It gets worse, Tonight I can't watch anything on TV [streaming] at all, I have unplugged everything leaving just the Amazon FireTV cube and Netflix won't even display the home screen, Youtube has black areas where video thumbnails should be, And videos never start [Constant buffering circle]

The below test is with a laptop plugged directly into the back of the hub with a very short cable, and WiFi disabled

NOTHING has changed in my setup at all in 10yrs I have been with Sky broadband, Desktop PC is hardwired [Eathernet cable], Amazon FireTV is hardwired, XBOX series X is also hardwired, Only devices using Wifi is my wife phone.

image_2022-01-01_230723.pngimage_2022-01-01_230831.png

Leland0404
Topic Author

Images i posted are not displaying for me my side!!

I just changed the line filter, Reset the hub, Did another test and it's getting slower, to the point the internet is unusable, It is like being back on dialup.image_2022-01-01_232209.png

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Leland0404 I notice there is a VPN marker on the top of your screenshot, have you tried running the test while not connected via a VPN?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Leland0404 

You have a fairly old router it may be on the way out. Might be worth requesting a new one

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Leland0404
Topic Author

That's the free VPN in Opera browser, If it were on it would be blue

Leland0404
Topic Author

I have tried to get a new hub for quite some time but they will not budge

I called them several times over the past few years with an unusual problem with Wifi

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this

Without warning any Wifi device will disconnect, Trying to reconnect throws up an error

To fix this I have to go into the hub settings and disable Security Options

Refresh the page a few times, Then re-enable Security Options, then Wifi devices will reconnect

This is very annoying when this happens as my wife's phone will be disconnected with no warning, and then it starts to eat up her mobile data, The only way we know the wifi has stopped working is if she disables her mobile data while at home

Does anyone know the best phone number for Sky Broadband?

And since Sky ditched the home phone line rental, is calling Sky still free from the landline?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Leland0404 

Are you out of contract by chance? They may not send a new router if you are out of contract because all new contracts have the router leased to you rather than given.

Calls are still free from a Sky landline just dial 150.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Leland0404
Topic Author

I renewed my contract around July last year, And pretty much the same time my speeds went quite bad.

Is it still free to call Sky from a landline since the line rental was ditched?

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Leland0404 

Dial 150 from your Sky landline or Sky Mobile - it'll be free

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by emily+Spencer This message was authored by: emily+Spencer

Hi I have had the same issue, tried all the suggestions in this thread but still rubbish connection, my contract is exactly the same as before i renewed.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@emily+Spencer Could you please post your router stats following the link below.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#M101...

Can you please run the broadband test, this can be done either via the Sky app on mobile data or use the link below.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-broadband-diagnostic/sky-broadband-diagnostic

If it finds an external fault it should enable you to book an engineer.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by emily+Spencer This message was authored by: emily+Spencer

Screenshot_20220125-203729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Moderation note: I've hidden images that publicly share your MAC 

@Highlinder 

Screenshot_20220125-203729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220125-204000_Samsung Internet.jpg

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion