Discussion topic: Sky wifi cuts out when PC plugged in

This message was authored by ChrisNieuwn This message was authored by: ChrisNieuwn

Sky wifi cuts out when PC plugged in

Hey,

I have a very weird issue with the broadband, whenever the PC is turned on that is plugged directly into the sky hub  the wifi starts acting up (slower speeds, cutting out, wifi crashes etc) but this only happens when the PC is plugged into the hub via Ethernet, if the PC is connected through WiFi the internet is completely fine and doesn't have any issues, anybody know why?

thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky wifi cuts out when PC plugged in

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisNieuwn 

What PC is it? Or more specifically what ethernet adapter/card is built into it? Are you using a Cat5e or above cable? Is the PC set to automatically assign an IP or manual?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ChrisNieuwn
Topic Author
This message was authored by ChrisNieuwn This message was authored by: ChrisNieuwn

It's using the 2.5G Ethernet port built into the motherboard. The cable is indeed cat5e and it's set to automatically assign an IP

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisNieuwn 

Have you tried manually setting the ports speed in the PC settings? E.g. Try setting it to 100mbps or 1000mbps, see if that makes any difference

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ChrisNieuwn
Topic Author

Hey was trying to figure out how to do this because there is no option on the pc to limit the speed, however I do suspect that's the reason the wifi crashes, I just plugged back in the Ethernet and it was fine and then as soon as I tried to download something on the pc with Ethernet it just crashed the whole router, maybe getting a different router from a third party might be better?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion