Discussion topic: What's the procedure fore moving to fibre optic broadband ??

This message was authored by Feenix4 This message was authored by: Feenix4

What's the procedure fore moving to fibre optic broadband ??

Ok , so after having been out of contract for quite a while , Sky have ramped up the price to the point where it's beggining to hurt !  ..... So I am just wondering what will need changing to the equipment , given that any new set up will have to be routed through the fibre system ? Will I need new fibre compatible connectors/boxes inside my house ??   *My current set up is via a copper phone line to inside the front door , then via an extension lead into the lounge . Presumably , fibre systems are 'fibre' end to end ??

Preferably , I want any new set up to be hard wired , rather than wi-fi . Also need to retain my landline phone too . It'll be just a basic system..... connection for laptop and the landline..... nothing fancy .

Anyone able to run me through what would be needed , please ??

* Also , after having a read of recent posts , I'm seeing a lot of complaints....... Is Sky worth persevering with these days or would I be better off going with an other provider ?   Thanks in advance .

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: What's the procedure fore moving to fibre optic broadband ??

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Feenix4 

FTTP requires a new optical connection, first from a street distribution to the outside of the subscription address (CSP), and then inside to the Openreach ONT.  ONT to ISP router is over ethernet, and phone plugs into the ISP router.

Hardwiring internal connections from the Sky Hub to client devices is up to you: Sky won't short that out.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Feenix4
Topic Author

Thanks for that Timmy..... I think I understand that .  ( ONT = Optical network terminal ?? ).  The fibre optical system was layed up my street a few months ago and I have a little 'access port' in the edge of the pavement , right outside my front door..... literally 11 ft away . ..... So basically what they'll be doing is replacing the copper terminal boxes with the fibre optic versions , then running an ethernet cable to the router ?  I can then run another ethernet cable from the router to my laptop......  Have I got that right ??

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Feenix4 

They do not replace the copper its left in place, just unused. Additionally the new fibre run may not take the same path as your old copper cabling/sockets.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Feenix4
Topic Author

Thanks for that , James .  Noted .

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Feenix4 this page from Openreach explains more about what is involved in getting a full fibre installation https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist#:~:text=We'll....

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Feenix4
Topic Author

Thanks for that Chrisee ..... Looks interesting . I shall have a proper read of that page/site .

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Feenix4 wrote:

Thanks for that Timmy..... I think I understand that .  ( ONT = Optical network terminal ?? ).  The fibre optical system was layed up my street a few months ago and I have a little 'access port' in the edge of the pavement , right outside my front door..... literally 11 ft away . ..... So basically what they'll be doing is replacing the copper terminal boxes with the fibre optic versions , then running an ethernet cable to the router ?  I can then run another ethernet cable from the router to my laptop......  Have I got that right ??

That sound suspiciously like an altnet, not Openreach. Altnets tend to use 'access ports' up to the boundary of the property when they roll out their networks. One our local altnets, Lightning Fibre, use them.

Openreach usually fit CBTs  (Connectorised Block Terminals\) on poles or in the footway boxes and then run fibre from the CBT to the customer's house.

@simon194 in my road which has an underground deployment the contractors Openreach used laid ducting and installed a small unit for each property probavly becausecthe copper network was not ducted. I suspect there are multiple versions knocking around.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Feenix4
Topic Author

Hmmm.... That's interesting !  It was a contractor that did the works.....they cut narrow channels along the pavement , with 'offshoots' for each property along the run.  So it may or maybe not a BT installation ?  Next time I see an openreach van up my street , I shall go and ask him.... see if I can get a definative answer.....  BT on their site ARE reporting fibre broadband as available ( up to 80mb speed ) , yet Sky tell me that they have not been advised or contracted with BT for that as yet !

So I suppose that I'll have to wait and see what happens , huh ??

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Feenix4 there is a difference betwen the old VDSL fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)  service which uses the copper phone line from the cabinet where the fibre stops and fibre to the premises (FTTP) also known as Full Fibre. The 80 Mb/s service is going to be FTTC. There is a move to stop companies calling this fibre as it confuses people..

As @simon194 points out the new cabelling sounds like one of the many AltNets who use slit trenches as Openreach bury their ducting in the road which is far bigger job. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Feenix4 

Note that Openreach is just Openreach: while still part of BT Group they don't use any BT branding, in order to demonstrate that they are the network maintainer serving multiple competing ISPs.

80Mbs FFTC wouldn't require pavement work like that, and no-one is now installing new infrastructure for that technology which is rapidly approaching obsolescence.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Feenix4
Topic Author

Thanks for that Chrisee and Timmy ......

Seems rather like I don't have 'true' full fibre as yet then ................  

As an aside , when I was looking on the BT/Openreach site it did mention that up to 1800 mb service would be available sometime during 2025 !   So I'll just carry on as I am for now .

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion