Discussion topic: iPv6 showing as “Disabled” on Sky Network.

This message was authored by Barry1506 This message was authored by: Barry1506

iPv6 showing as “Disabled” on Sky Network.

Hi its me again! Sorry to bother you all!

i have an ongoing problem with my IPv6 showing as "disabled" on the Sky Network. 

I have the SR213 model Wifi Max Hub and all the fields for IPv6 are empty,but I have 3 addresses for IPv6 on my iphone 15 pro Max for IPv6. 

When I do a Test my IPv6 test,it always comes back saying theres a DNS Issue, or configuration problem, Ive contacted Sky,and the person on the phone didnt really seem to undestand my problem.
I have just recieved a text from Sky saying the issue has been resolved, which isn't the case, I still get the same error mesage when testing IPv6.

I have hopefully attached some photos to further shed light on this problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards. 

IMG_1680.png

IMG_1681.png

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: No DNS Resolver?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Barry1506 there is absolutely no reason to be worried over this issue I have looked further into what is happening . Sky's own DNS servers currently dont return IP6 addresses only IP4 this is not currently an issue as the message tells you.

If you want to use a DNS system that is fully compliant and returns both IP4 and IP6 addresses that is simple just configure your device to use one of the public systems like Google's which is on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are compliant. 

Sky will no doubt uodate their systems before it causes any issues.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: iPv6 showing as “Disabled” on Sky Network.

@Barry1506 Sky are one of the few ISPs who support IP6 as the second picture is actually telling you as it gives the IP6 address your device is using and giving a score of 9 out of 10.

Not quite sure why but my connection scores a full 10 on thst test but that could be down to the Openreach kit handling your connection is not fully IP6 compliant Sky tell us around 20% of exchange gear is not completly compliant..

As a rule dont post your IP 4 or 6 addresses in an open forum as a senior Super User I can see the images have been flagged so they may be disapearing shortly

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by gilbo2 This message was authored by: gilbo2

I got this result!?

Screenshot 2024-04-26 092133.png

Barry1506
Topic Author

IPv6 disabled plus Reverse DNS Record issues.

Hi there! It's me yet again! 🤣

I have recently noticed that my IPv6 is showing as "Disabled" on the Admin Page on my Sky Hub (SR213 Model) I have contacted Sky who were a bit baffled to why all the IPv6 fields are empty and it's actually showing as "Disabled "on the Sky Network. 

After some time on hold, the advisor put the blame onto Openreach servers not being compatible with IPv6 in my area yet therefore I'm not getting a Host name and the Primary and Secondary Fields for IPv6 are completely empty?

I have trouble in believing this as people only a stone's throw away from me are  on 500mbps plus Soeeds, surely by now my area must have IPv6 Servers?

when I test my IPv6 I get varying results from 19/20 to the lowest being 15/20, this is using Test my IPv6 tool on any Browser. I also get an error concerning a Reverse DNS Record, I don't know what this is and I'm hoping you lovely people can help me out, I've attached a photo of the exact error message for your information. 

Can I fix this error myself? Or with some guidance from you guy's?

Thank you in advance! 😊

IMG_1682.png

IMG_1682.png

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: IPv6 disabled plus Reverse DNS Record issues.

@Barry1506  You created a similar thread yesterday I have merged your latest post to it, you also had a reply to that thread.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Barry1506
Topic Author

My Apologies, I don't mean to spam the community, I'm just over worried. 

Barry1506
Topic Author

No DNS Resolver?

Hi I'm getting this error message when I'm testing my IPv6, after a multitude of phone calls and speaking to a supposedly "Broadband Technician " they say they cannot fix or really understand what my issue is! 

im getting different answers from the Advisors and Technician's and was actually told by the Technician to try and resolve this issue here. 
My question is, is this a local Server issue? ie where I live? Or is it a Sky server issue? At ISP level servers? 

what does this actually mean and can I rectify it myself? I don't want to keep calling Sky about it as they don't have an answer for this issue. 

I've attached a breakdown of the error so you professional's can read the message for yourself instead of me trying to relay it!

it contains no personal info, only the error message breakdown. 

I don't even know what a DNS Resolver or reverse DNS records are?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_1686.png

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Barry1506 there is absolutely no reason to be worried over this issue I have looked further into what is happening . Sky's own DNS servers currently dont return IP6 addresses only IP4 this is not currently an issue as the message tells you.

If you want to use a DNS system that is fully compliant and returns both IP4 and IP6 addresses that is simple just configure your device to use one of the public systems like Google's which is on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are compliant. 

Sky will no doubt uodate their systems before it causes any issues.

Barry1506
Topic Author

Thank you so very much for this direct answer! You're a credit to this Forum!

I would say go ahead and delete this thread but it's such a great answer that I think many other people may benefit from this wisdom.

• My Issue- Resolved. 
    My worrry- Gone.  
    happiness- Returned. 

I no longer need to post/contact Sky over this matter any further! I appreciate you and thanks again! 😊 Have a great weekend! 

• @Chrisee 😊
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Barry1506 happy to help as researching the answer improved my knowledge.

On this forum we dont delete or close threads but I have marked my last reply as the answer which highlights a reply for any one searching for a similar issue in the future,

Barry1506
Topic Author

@Chrisee Yet again you deserve a medal! I'm a bit wary of changing important settings but I got brave and look what you have achieved for me!

I can't thank you enough! 😊

IMG_1690.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion